Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Can I copy chapter markers from one timeline to another?

Jan 23, 2013 8:29 AM

I have a long timeline in Premiere that has many clips with NeatVideo applied, and Premiere has a bug/design flaw for which it doesn't use rendered previews with some 3rd party filters, even when "Use Previews" is selected. So since this takes several hours to render again completely, I decided to render to an AVI file using the Matrox MPEG-2 codec at 300 Mbps, and then render from that file to DVD MPEG 2 would take far less because it transcodes at like 2x real time in my computer. I did this in case the render would crash at some point, so I would be left with at least part of it rendered and ready to be converted.

The problem is that Premiere doesn't export Encore chapters to an AVI file, only to an MPEG-2 DVD file, or if you send the timeline to Encore using Dynamic Link. Since I had set lots of Encore chapter markers in Premiere, I need a way to transfer all those markers to the new Encore timeline I will create once I finish encoding the MPEG-2 DVD file from the AVI file that contains the whole timeline.

So I thought that the best way was to send the timeline from Premiere to Encore using Dynamic Link, which will bring the chapters into Encore, then copy those chapter markers from the DL timeline to the timeline with the MPEG-2 DVD file, but that doesn't work. Is there a way to do this?

Thanks,

Sebastian

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jan 23, 2013 10:18 AM   in reply to Sebasvideo

Here's how I do it.

1. In PP, turn off the eyeballs of your video tracks.  This makes them black and very quick to encode.

2. Export out using an MPEG2-DVD preset.

3. Bring the resultant .m2v and .wav files into Encore and create your timeline from them.  That timeline will have all the chapter markers.

4. In Encore, do a Replace Asset on the 'black' .m2v with the correct version (just be very sure the new version always has a different file name than the one you're replacing).  Viola, video transocded outside of PP with chapter markers.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 23, 2013 6:47 PM   in reply to Sebasvideo

Nope.

However, the file that contains the chapter markers is the .xmpses file.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 27, 2013 5:39 PM   in reply to Jim Simon

Jim,

Great tip, and thank you for sharing. Glad that I read this Reply, before just saying "No."

Appreciated,

Hunt

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points