Skip navigation
NMCMSP
Currently Being Moderated

Disappearing Text

Jan 23, 2013 9:52 AM

I'm tweaking an existing template and having lots of problems. I must admit, I'm new to InDesign but so far I hate it. This is a corporate quided change but InDesign has far more options than we need. I'm an analyst, not a graphic designer. I crunch numbers, not make things look pretty, but it's part of my job, so I need some help please.

Anyways, in the picture below you can see the number 9 over the orange object. However, the text shows for a few seconds, then disappears (I took a screen very quickly). I know it's still there cuz I can highlight it. I've read thru other discussions on this and my problem has nothing to do with the wrapping text problems everyone else seems to have, because I have changed that. To clarify, I copied the blue object above it, and changed the color to orange. I then copied the text (number) from in the blue object above it and pasted it into the orange object. From what I can tell, this copy and paste is definitely not an exact copy and paste. Something seems to have changed from copying the object. Anyone have any ideas as to why this is happening?

Thanks in advance.

zdf.gif

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jan 23, 2013 10:00 AM   in reply to NMCMSP

Why not click your type tool into that text frame; press Ctrl+Y (Cmd+Y if on a Mac) and examine the text in what is called Story Editor mode. By looking in Story Editor Mode, you might discover other characters, or perhaps many space bar spaces, or perhaps tab characters. If you find extra characters or white space characters, delete all but the number 9. Close the Story Editor window and see if the problem still persists.

And most people on this forum like making things look beautiful!

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 23, 2013 10:06 AM   in reply to NMCMSP

You say you turned off Text Wrap. Did you examine ALL nearby and overlapping objects to see what Text Wrap was set to?

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 23, 2013 10:24 AM   in reply to NMCMSP

Can't tell from the screen shot becasue the panels aren't open -- What color is the text?  Looks like it should be [Paper], but is it really? And is the orange object itself really the text frame?

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 23, 2013 11:28 AM   in reply to NMCMSP

Perhaps you set the 9 to overprint. Window> output> Atributes> overprint.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 23, 2013 11:35 AM   in reply to NMCMSP

it will be an endless guessing, because is hard to tell, if you can manage to link that page (only) so we all can download...

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 23, 2013 11:48 AM   in reply to Fede Gianni

Maybe check on Text Frame Options for that frame. Any inset values or doubled columns?

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 23, 2013 12:02 PM   in reply to NMCMSP

Another screen shot like the last one with invisible characters shown might turn something up. If those spaces between the paragraphs are empty lines, a stray extra tab could be sending that digit into a white area. Another investigative measure would be to select all text in the frame and change its color (temporarily) to something non-white. That 9's gotta be there somewhere.

Errr come to think of it, are we certain the orange shape is behind the text frame? They do appear to be on the same layer.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 23, 2013 1:33 PM   in reply to NMCMSP

I think the orange object is in front of the text frame in the stacking order....

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points