Skip navigation
invitingannie
Currently Being Moderated

Updating Modified Links in InDesign CS6

Jan 23, 2013 10:05 AM

When updating modified links, my links don't come in at the same size as the image that is on the screen and they are not placed in the same position as the image on the screen. I know that the image on the screen is just a screen shot of the image that was placed, and when I am relinking the image it is to the same file that I use all the time?

This happens on a daily basis and I will have to delete the image and replace and resize to get it back to the way it was supposed to be?

Any help on how to make sure the image comes in just like it appears on the screen when all I am doing is relinking to a modified version of the file?

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jan 23, 2013 10:38 AM   in reply to invitingannie

Try to change the following setting:

Preferences > File Handling > Preserve Image Dimensions When Relinking

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 23, 2013 11:27 AM   in reply to invitingannie

you need to keep the same size or W/H proportion to mantain position

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 23, 2013 11:48 AM   in reply to invitingannie

are you editing the image in photoshop? illus?

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 23, 2013 1:52 PM   in reply to invitingannie

Looks to me like the crop option has changed...

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 23, 2013 2:43 PM   in reply to invitingannie

Crop option is set during import, and it's sticky until changed, so I'm not sure what happens on relink if the options are changed in between the original placement and the relink. I would suggest that instead of using Relink next time use the Place command, show the crop options, and set them to Art or Bounding Box and see what happens. My guess is that's wat was set initially, and the replacement image was cropped to Media.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 23, 2013 2:53 PM   in reply to Peter Spier

Actually, I have a better idea. Make a new file and place that PDF into the new file, showing the import options and set the crop to Art or Bounding box as suggeted above, then go back tothe other file and relink. If resetting the crop otion is going to do anything, it will have done it when you imported into the other file. You can close that new file without saving.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 23, 2013 3:37 PM   in reply to invitingannie

i think that is an illustrator issue. it happens to me with some imported .ai

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points