Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Premiere Pro CS6 Capture Problem

Jan 23, 2013 11:04 AM

Tags: #premiere_pro_cs6 #capture_video #black_magic_ultra_studio_express

I am capturing live video in a studio situation using PrPro CS6 with the Black Magic Ultra Studio Express from an HDSDI feed from a Panasonic HPX 370 and I am having an intermittent problem. In about 1 and 10 or 20 captures, the capture would start as expected and after a few seconds the capture window freezes. My first thought was that the application crashed but I then let the scene play out, stopped the recording, checked the file and found that the recording is fine with no issues. When I press stop, save dialog lets me save the file but the video signal Capture interface staysfrozen. I then have to close the capture window and reopen it to continue.

This is the first experience for me capturing video in Premiere Pro and I would like to know if anyone has had any issues like this one with the capture feature. I have spoken to Black Magic support and they have not heard of this issue with their hardware and thought the problem lies with CS6.

MacBook Pro

17-inch, Late 2011
Processor 2.4 GHz Intel Core i7
Memory 16 GB 1333 MHz DDR3
Software OS X 10.8.2 (12C60)
Lacie 2TB Thunderbolt

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jan 23, 2013 12:28 PM   in reply to paul Dunsford

Are you chaining the Blackmagic with the Lacie and if so what order? Do you have any other TB devices connected such as a Apple Display?

Eric
    ADK

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 23, 2013 12:40 PM   in reply to paul Dunsford

The drive first though is likely the problem since the drive would be significantly slower than the Blackmagic device. You may want to look for a TB hub/dock like this:

http://www.belkin.com/us/thunderbolt

Eric

ADK

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 23, 2013 1:14 PM   in reply to paul Dunsford

Chaining devices as stated by apple, slower devices ahead in the chain will cause the data stream to slow down for devices behind it which will cause issues. This is because the device ahead in the chain has to negotiate the data stream coming grabbing data expected for it and passing on data for others. This process causes latency in the time it takes the data to get down the chain to the devices that require far more data in a given point in time. This is the effect of chaining. However a Hub takes a communication line and then splits it at the controller for the Hub. So the Hub handles the negotiation of data and send the data to the appropriate device. In this design none of the devices are waiting on a device in front to negotiate the data to it. The Hub controller is handling that. This would eliminate the Drive from slowing down the data to the Blackmagic. However the choice is yours as to what to try.

Eric

ADK

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 23, 2013 2:07 PM   in reply to paul Dunsford

I was thought the Belkin had the main TB port on another side. I will see if I can find anything that can split the TB connection as a Hub.

Eric

ADK

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 23, 2013 3:05 PM   in reply to paul Dunsford

Well after checking it looks like Hub options are not available yet for Thunderbolt beyond what the Belkin has. The symptom you describe where the stream is captured fine but the preview stream is not continuing really describes latency and the video stream not arriving in the time the application expects it.

Eric

ADK

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 6, 2013 11:00 AM   in reply to paul Dunsford

Media Express has a better ability to handle latency in the input stream versus Premiere. That is why it's working with MD Express better. The Latency expectation for a capture application would be specific to the app. Timecode in Premiere I believe is default set to use the system generated time versus source.

Eric

ADK

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 6, 2013 12:32 PM   in reply to paul Dunsford

The timecode that the camera recorded is an inherent part of the digital transfer. Adobe does nothing with the timecode as recorded by the camera.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 6, 2013 1:57 PM   in reply to Harm Millaard

Yes Harm but the person is Capturing/Digitizing from a live source. I thought Premiere just generates the timecode on a live source from the system versus the source.

Eric

ADK

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 6, 2013 3:17 PM   in reply to ECBowen

I would guess not, since capturing is simply a digital transfer. When using (in the old days) OL, On Location, and connected over firewire, the same digital transfer was still occurring, using the same digital data that the camera recorded, including the timecode stamps. So nothing was altered by Adobe. It was pure camera data being tranferred.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points