Skip navigation
This discussion is locked
whatthef*ck
Currently Being Moderated

Trash recovery folder upon exiting

Jan 23, 2013 10:44 AM

Tags: #recovery #files #unwanted #folder

Adobe has really outdone themselves in terms of annoyances designed to help. I might have ten unsaved inDesign docs open that I use for creating documents in other programs. I don't need these docs ever again once I am done with them, and yet Adobe is oh so "helpful" in reopening them every time I relaunch the app, even though I've closed them without saving. I've tried making the recovery folder read-only but that makes the entire program die. I've set up an Automator script to find the files and trash them and even empty the trash using Applescript, but I don't see a tidy way of making this happen every time I exit inDesign. InDesign completely ignores my system preferences to NOT REOPEN files - ("When selected, open documents and windows will not be restored when you re-open an application") - because what, they think we are helpless neophytes who do not know what is best for us? Why is there not at least an option to turn off this setting?

I'd really like to know if there is a way to tell InDesign to destroy these unwanted files upon quitting the application, if anyone out there has had success with it.

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jan 23, 2013 11:37 AM   in reply to whatthef*ck

look for .idlk files and trash them

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 23, 2013 1:45 PM   in reply to whatthef*ck

What you're describing is not normal behaviour. If you close InDesign,

it will ask you one by one whether to save each file (if it has been

modified since opening). Whether you save or not, when you next open

InDesign, those files will not be automatically opened. InDesign's

"automatic recovery" feature only kicks in if InDesign has crashed or

you force-close it. Not if you close it normally.

Ariel

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 23, 2013 1:47 PM   in reply to [Ariel]

This may have nothing at all to do with Adobe or ID. There's an Apple system setting that will do this...

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 23, 2013 2:22 PM   in reply to Peter Spier

Peter's right on this one. When you quit the OS in 10.7 0r 10.8, in the dialog which appears is a checkbox which says something like Restore Applications and Windows On Restart. Uncheck it.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 24, 2013 6:54 AM   in reply to whatthef*ck

Empty the recovery folder, but you've already said you close the files, so that seems unlikley -- ID only recovers files that were open when it quits abnormally.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 24, 2013 7:34 AM   in reply to whatthef*ck

In my experience, if you force quit InDesign, the program thinks that something went wrong and attempts to recove those unsaved files.

If you have several "unsaved" files open and no longer need them, a better practice may be to simply option click the red button, and one by one tell InDesign not to save each of the files. It's a relatively painless proceedure and takes only seconds to click through each dialog box.

Just a thought.

Screen shot 2013-01-24 at 8.33.17 AM.png

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 24, 2013 9:21 AM   in reply to whatthef*ck

I suppose you have some good reason for not closing files and shutting down the applications before you leave for the day and let the machine go to sleep?

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 25, 2013 3:13 AM   in reply to whatthef*ck

What can I say? You can reopen a file and work on it at any time. Leaving files open the way you do is an invitation for trouble, and you've already got it.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 25, 2013 8:27 AM   in reply to whatthef*ck

What it is is a bad work habit, and you are risking file corruption. By trouble that you already have I meant your complaint.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 25, 2013 9:34 AM   in reply to whatthef*ck

The recovery folder is working as designed, and it isn't overridding a sytem setting -- it's recovering from a crash, and in the event that a crash happens when you're actually working I suspect your attitude will change. If you close things down before you quit for the day you can still leave the computer on, but I bet this annoyance will disappear completely.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 25, 2013 10:12 AM   in reply to Peter Spier

<chuckle!>

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 25, 2013 10:34 AM   in reply to Michael Witherell

The OP should thank Peter and other respondants - post #9 notwithstanding, but the verbal abuse has continued - rethink their habit's and move on.

The people assisting in this matter are not Adobe employee's but rather volunteers with decades of.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 25, 2013 11:10 AM   in reply to Daniel Flavin

I totally agree, Daniel.

It's like having rescuers help a man drowning in a river, and then, when he recovers, he abuses his rescuers for mishandling him!

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points