Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Selected object won't move in full

Jan 23, 2013 1:24 PM

Tags: #selection #move #arrow #object #moving #white

I must have clicked something without knowing it. I have used Illustrator off and on for decades but I am puzzled by this.

If I want to only move a part of an object, I use the white arrow and select the part I want to move.

Then, when I try to move it, it only moves the one point that I have clicked on instead of the entire object.

If I sit on it for a few long seconds, then I can move the entire thing. But, I didn't have to do that before. I feel like an idiot but I know it must be a simple thing I just messed up. Please help me if you know the answer. Thank you.

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jan 23, 2013 1:49 PM   in reply to mommysalame

Hi mommysalame,

I might be misunderstanding your question. You first say that you "want to only move a part of an object," so you select the point you want to move with the Direct Selection tool (white arrow). But then you say when you "try to move it, it only moves the one point you have clicked on instead of the entire object."

Is your goal to move a single part of an object, or to move the whole object?

Cheers,

Michael

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 23, 2013 2:11 PM   in reply to mommysalame

Hmm,

I've created a circle and added a couple anchor points to it. (3 points along the left side).

Screen Shot 2013-01-23 at 4.04.46 PM.png

I select the first point, then shift+select the other two points, meaning three points are simultaneously selected.

Screen Shot 2013-01-23 at 4.05.06 PM.png

I grab just one of the anchor points that I've selected and move them to the left and upwards.

Screen Shot 2013-01-23 at 4.05.22 PM.png

I used the Direct Selection (white) arrow the whole time. My question is whether you are clicking and dragging an area near the points, or clicking one of the points and moving them?

Take a screenshot of your object and post it here, maybe there is something that I'm overlooking!

Thanks,

Michael

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 23, 2013 2:33 PM   in reply to mommysalame

Preferences > Selection & Anchor Point Display > Object Selection By Path Only

Make certain that is not checked. You may need to simply reset your preferences as well.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 23, 2013 2:38 PM   in reply to mommysalame

Then you should reset your preferences.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 23, 2013 3:33 PM   in reply to mommysalame

mommysalame,

You may try to Move the folder: this is reversible so you can get your preferences back if resetting them fails to solve the issue.

Edit: I just saw that the link that Scott gave also includes renaming the preference file. If you do that, you may rerename it and get it back, remember to do it with Illy closed.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 23, 2013 3:38 PM   in reply to mommysalame

You can select the whole of an object using the Direct Selection tool and option-clicking on its path.

But as Scott suggests, your problem sounds as if you have checked 'Object Selection by Path Only' in Selection & Anchor Display prefs

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 23, 2013 6:55 PM   in reply to mommysalame

No. Preferences are not document specific, they are application wide.

But it is possible file from elsewhere contains an object which is constructed in a manner you aren't familiar with.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points