Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

CS6 scratch folder

Jan 23, 2013 3:07 PM

On my system I have a 120Gb SSD with programs (40GB free) and a 3TB HDD for all my photo files.

Looking at the settings in CS6 it seems as if it has automatically selected my SSD for the scratch folder although in the hints it suggests that the scratch folder should not be your boot drive, however, the fastest drive is probably best. What do you recommed? leave it as it is or change the scratch to the HDD?

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jan 23, 2013 5:04 PM   in reply to Pilsburypie

If you had a 500g SSD scratch there would be great.  But the scratch needs to be at least 40 gig and if you do large projects could run up to 200g.

|
    Mark as:
  • Noel Carboni
    23,526 posts
    Dec 23, 2006
    Jan 23, 2013 8:10 PM   in reply to Pilsburypie

I couldn't have said it better than Curt, above.

I'll add:

Do you swap data to scratch a lot?  What's your RAM size?  You might not need so much scratch if your RAM is huge.  If you configure your HDD as the second scratch drive, it will use that if it exceeds the space on your SSD.

I fully understand minimizing the size of SSD, since it's expensive (relatively speaking), but (in support of Curt's comment) I urge others who may be reading this and choosing to outfit their system with SSD to buy a much larger SSD than you think you need.

-Noel

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 23, 2013 8:47 PM   in reply to Curt Y

Agree witn Curt and Noel.

40 GB is woefully inadequate for the scratch, let alone to share it with the swap files of the OS.

Figure on 50 to 100 times or more the size of your largest file multiplied by the number of files you have open.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 24, 2013 6:52 AM   in reply to Pilsburypie

While no hard and fast rule genereally if you allocate 2+ gig to OS you can use rest for photoshop.  Certain operations takes a lot of processing power and ram, but if a casual user you may not see much difference.

I would not use the limited space of the SSD for scratch.  You may max it out.  Again, for a casual user you may not see much change. 

|
    Mark as:
  • Noel Carboni
    23,526 posts
    Dec 23, 2006
    Jan 24, 2013 8:10 AM   in reply to Pilsburypie

Again, Curt's right on.

My experience:  When I had 16GB I was able to set the Photoshop limit to 90%, though if you want to be conservative choose 85%.  Unless you SPECIFICALLY have something else you want to run that's memory-intensive at the same time you're running Photoshop, the OS itself only needs 1 to 2 GB of RAM.

-Noel

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points