Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

cs5 photoshop freezing

Jan 23, 2013 4:00 PM

photoshop cs5 randomly freezes when opening a file. File does not open and cannot move palettes. Only rebooting cures it for a time then ...freeze again! Seems to be getting worse, happening more often. I have all the updates. Running on macbook pro 2.4 core i7 8gb ram OS  10.7.5. Basically I work away and then I try to open a file, the windows and pallets all open but the actual file doesn't. The layers are showing all relevant info but if I try to move the pallet...frozen! Have to reboot to get the file to open. There is no specific file, it just happens after about a day of use!

Any idea out there please?

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jan 23, 2013 5:07 PM   in reply to boomwater

The freeze is probably not with Photoshop.  It is probably a driver.  Do you have the latest OS updates?

Also, check you disk drive.  Do you have 10-20% free space?  Run disk utility also.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 23, 2013 5:29 PM   in reply to boomwater

The fact that the layers palette shows layers, but the document window doesn't show is a common symptom of bugs in your video card driver.

You can turn off GPU drawing in Photoshop's preferences, or update the video card driver from the GPU maker's website.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 27, 2013 9:36 AM   in reply to boomwater

Check your harddrive to see that you have 10-20% free space.

Run you disk utility to repair permissions.

If those ideas don't work you will have to run a crash report to see what the problem is.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 27, 2013 12:24 PM   in reply to boomwater

Also, have you updated your OS?

On a Mac, that should also install the latest video driver too.

Good luck,

Hunt

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points