Skip navigation
Mindspace_Jesse
Currently Being Moderated

CS6 AFX Network Render Node - Can't enable non-royalty bearing mode.

Jan 23, 2013 6:11 PM

I have found many many threads saying to place this text file in these locations:

To enable non-royalty bearing mode: Place a blank file named ae_render_only_node.txt into one of the following locations, depending on the user account type:

1. Install After Effects on the render-only machine.
  2. Place a blank file named ae_render_only_node.txt into one of the following locations, depending on the user account type:
    • Mac locations:/Users/<username>/Documents//Users/Shared/Adobe/
    • Windows locations:C:\Users\<username>\DocumentsC:\Users\Public\Documents\Adobe

But, it's not working for me. I try to open AE render engine and it just tells me my trial is up. I've dropped that text file in just about every file you can imagine, even ones that probably don't need it.

What am I missing?

Windows 7 64-bit PC

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jan 23, 2013 6:26 PM   in reply to Mindspace_Jesse

Can you post a screenshot of your C:\Users\<username>\My Documents folder with the file in it?

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 24, 2013 11:08 AM   in reply to Mindspace_Jesse

Thanks. No red flags so far.

Please post a screenshot of the message you get about trial expiration.

Important questions:

• Was this working previously?
    • If it was working previously, do you recall if the splash screen during AE launch displayed "RENDER ENGINE"?
    • How long has AE CS6 been installed on the machine?
    • When you installed it, did you install as trial mode? Or did you provide a serial number or sign in with a Creative Cloud Membership ID?
    • Is the machine connected to the Internet?

For kicks, let's try clearing the prefs. Go to:

C:\Users\Jesse\AppData\Roaming\Adobe\After Effects\

and move the 12.0 folder to your desktop. Launch AE and see if that changes anything.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 24, 2013 12:07 PM   in reply to Mindspace_Jesse

6 months or so, but I just updated it with bridge>help>update

Interesting. Just yesterday I updated Bridge on a Render Engine machine without causing a problem, but this is worth pursuing.

If it was working previously, do you recall if the splash screen during AE launch displayed "RENDER ENGINE"? - It worked before the trial ended. But yes, it did show the splash screen when it worked.

Just to clarify, when it was working and AE launched successfully, the Render Queue should have been the only available panel. Is that what you would see?

There is no 12.0 Folder-- just 11.0?

Hmmm... I'll have to check with engineering, but it's possible the Render Engine mode doesn't read or write preferences. It has no need of them. So unless you'd have launched the full UI of AE at some point, the 12.0 folder might not exist. In any case, probably not worth pursuing for this problem, it was just one of the normal troubleshooting tricks.

If you uninstall and reinstall AE, does the problem continue?

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 24, 2013 12:43 PM   in reply to Mindspace_Jesse

The 11.0 folder also was not replaced, because I can't get past the trial expiration screen.

Good to know. I meant the 11.0 folder in any case. Sorry for the confusion.

I'm getting the feeling that since I didn't put the .txt file in the proper location prior to my trial expiring, the software never even gets to the point that it can check for it.

It shouldn't matter when you added the file.

I want to clarify how you got to the point you're at, because I'm a little unclear. What it sounds like to me is:

* You installed the trial

* You ran the trial until it expired

* You added the .txt file but it's not working

OR

* You added the .txt file and it worked for 6 months but now it's not

This is as opposed to what I previously assumed you were doing, which was

* You installed the trial

* You added the .txt file

* You ran the Render Engine for 6 months and now it's not working

What other Adobe apps do you have on this machine? Are they trial or licensed? If licensed, do you have a Creative Cloud Membership?

I don't believe that it was the update that caused the problem, it didn't work prior to the update either. I updated and restarted per a recommendation I saw on a forum, in case this was a problem that was resolved with an update.

Good to know. Thanks.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 24, 2013 2:36 PM   in reply to Mindspace_Jesse

because the trial version was working just fine for me (for 6 months or so)

This is wrong. The trial version should only work for 30 days without giving you the expiration message. Either you're doing something to bypass that, or I'm missing a critical piece of information about your workflow.

Regardless, adding the ae_render_only_node.txt file should make the trial, or any install of AE CS6, run as Render Engine without limitation.

What I'm trying to figure out here is why that's not working for you. Since, as far as I can tell, you've followed the instructions regarding the .txt file correctly, it appears there may be something else afoot with your installation of AE. Hence the Spanish Inquisition.

And, I have the production premium suite installed (trial... expired) I'm using the AFX render engine that is a part of it.

This is helpful.

Are you using an English version of Production Premium in the United States, or are you in another country and/or using a different language?

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 24, 2013 4:52 PM   in reply to Mindspace_Jesse

my user account is part of a network, if that matters

Maybe. Still investigating. Are you using the same account to access AE as the one that installed AE?

I've got a stupid hunch. Do me a favor: go to the Folder Options dialog (Tools > Folder Options in any Explorer window) and tell me if the "Hide extensions for known file types box" is checked or not.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 24, 2013 5:38 PM   in reply to Mindspace_Jesse

I should have guessed that to begin with...

Interesting... reinstalling should not restart the trial period.

Regardless, the presence of that file will work either before or after the trial, or even with a licensed install. When it's there and you launch AE, even the one not labeled "Render Engine", the splash screen will have "RENDER ENGINE" in bold font on it, and the only accessible panel is the Render Queue.

Glad it's sorted out, anyway.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points