Skip navigation
KatMichaels
Currently Being Moderated

Variable Text?

Jan 23, 2013 5:36 PM

I am self-taught and have a LOT still left to learn, so forgive me if this question is wacky. I have a document (a label template) which has a text string that needs to be updated frequently. It appears 10 times in the document (10 labels per page). Is there a way I can makes copies of one instance of the text and have those copies linked to the first instance, so that I only have to update one instance any time I need an update? I'm not sure if variable text might serve this purpose, but I wasn't able to figure out how to make it work for me.

Thanks!

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jan 23, 2013 5:47 PM   in reply to KatMichaels

By using the Effect>Transform you can do this

Screen shot 2013-01-23 at 5.45.07 PM.png

And then this

Screen shot 2013-01-23 at 5.45.45 PM.png

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 23, 2013 6:01 PM   in reply to Larry G. Schneider

You could also do this via symbols. Set the first one.. then drag to Symbol Panel. Then use symbols for additional copies. When you need to edit the text, simply double-click the symbol in the Symbol Panel all symbols will reflect any changes.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 24, 2013 8:52 AM   in reply to KatMichaels

Start with just one copy of the label. Use Effect>Transform to make a single copy of the label to the right of the original. With the original copy of the label still selected, use Effect>Transform again (you will receive a warning but just ignore it) to make the vertical copies. These are the two transforms shown in the Appearance panel window. Now just change the text in the first copy to change all.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points