Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Weird finish behaviour of .swf but no error message

Jan 23, 2013 10:56 PM

hi Team,

Have been working on this project for 8 months or so. contains many layers film clips and activities etc..   I have noticed in final testing that if I try to "break" it by rapidy pressing between buttons to load various pages, my Flash starts to play at highly accelerated frame rate.--->  One example of this is that I have a button that has a heart monitor type of animation that plays at a heartbeat type of speed.... when it bugs out this is flashing really rapidly and also other movies are running way faster than they are supposed to...   This doesnt happen all the time, but is happening and there is no error message in the compiler errors or output to explain what is going on.

An ideas?

Cheers for any help

sub

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jan 23, 2013 11:58 PM   in reply to subtlefly72

I was in a similar situation when I had to make a navigation that had a TreeMenu Component, MovieClip buttons and keyboardEvents Listening all the time for user input.

When testing rapdidly and randomly I noticed (since I was dynamically creating objects, tweens etc.) that the application started to act weird, I ended up solving the problem with an InputManager, that was basically nothing else than a Mediator,

that allowed/disallowed Events to be triggered depending on which state the application was in, for example if sth. was tweening on the stage I considered that as a "transient" state during which further User Input was blocked.

If your project has reached a certain complexity its no piece of cake to make that working.

|
    Mark as:
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jan 24, 2013 2:06 AM   in reply to subtlefly72

It really depends on the details, you have to isolate the problem and then aiming for a local Anaesthesia rather then putting your app in an artificial Coma to make the pain go away. If you get the picture

I looked at your project, congrats, you really put a lot of effort in there.

How are you handling the different sections of the app, with scenes? with loaders? Do you use the timeline much etc.? Do you use classes or code on frames? Do you use as2 or as3? Which platform do you target? How do you intend to distribute the work?

These would be all important to know to give you viable options to choose from.

A good read to get introduced in "How to debug without Errors" is here

Look especially at the section within there: Repeated Execution Code

The flickering of some of your buttons in the demofilm, could be caused by this.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points