Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Missing Camera Raw in PSE11?

Jan 24, 2013 7:30 AM

I purchased PSE 11 and do not have the plug-in Camera Raw. I have tried the solutions suggested in the main Adobe help page without success. A friend bought a copy at the same time and she has the plug-in. Any suggestions why I do not have it? I have even followed to upgrade to 7.3 but it has still not appeared in my Help>Plug-ins dropdown, nor is it in the Open As file type dropdown?

Replies
  • 99jon
    12,821 posts
    Jan 6, 2010
    Jan 24, 2013 7:36 AM   in reply to Raddang

You can check what version you have installed from the top menu:

Help >> About Plug-in >> Camera Raw

You should see a pop-up like this (press Esc to close)

ACR7.3.png

|
    Mark as:
  • 99jon
    12,821 posts
    Jan 6, 2010
    Jan 24, 2013 7:58 AM   in reply to Raddang

Uninstall via the control panel and then install again from a different source. Use the link below to download the free trial (it’s the identical product) and after installation make it permanent with the serial number from your DVD sleeve.

http://www.adobe.com/cfusion/tdrc/index.cfm?product=photoshop_elements &loc=us&PID=2159997

|
    Mark as:
  • 99jon
    12,821 posts
    Jan 6, 2010
    Jan 24, 2013 10:25 AM   in reply to Raddang

Hmm, that seems very strange.

You could try the CS6 download and then rename the plug-in before installing it manually. Right-click on the following link and choose “Save Target As”

http://swupdl.adobe.com/updates/oobe/aam20/win/PhotoshopCameraRaw7-7.0 /7.3.37/Setup.zip

When the download completes double click on setup.zip and on the menu click Extract all files, then click the Extract button.

Go to the folder

payloads and then go to the folder AdobeCameraRaw7.0All-291112104530 and finally go to the folder Assets1_1.zip

Inside Assets1_1.zip extract all files (as above) then find the file 1003

Rename the file 1003 as Camera Raw.8bi

C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Adobe\Plug-Ins\Elements 11\File Formats

On Windows 64 bit go to the File Formats folder and drag Camera Raw.8bi into that folder.

|
    Mark as:
  • 99jon
    12,821 posts
    Jan 6, 2010
    Jan 24, 2013 10:37 AM   in reply to Raddang

P.S. You could check the File Formats folder first to ensure Camera Raw.8bi is missing.

|
    Mark as:
  • 99jon
    12,821 posts
    Jan 6, 2010
    Jan 24, 2013 11:37 AM   in reply to Raddang

What camera are you using to shoot the raw files?

You obviously have the plug-in. When you choose a raw file or DNG file and click open with PSE11 it should open automatically in the camera raw interface. You would normally only us File >> Open As if you want to open a jpeg or other non-raw file in the camera raw interface.

Open-As-Raw.png

|
    Mark as:
  • 99jon
    12,821 posts
    Jan 6, 2010
    Jan 24, 2013 12:36 PM   in reply to Raddang

If jpegs open in camera raw then there is nothing wrong with the plug-I file path.

Those NEF files should open in PSE7 and PSE11. How are you getting them from the camera storage card to the computer? Have they been through Nikon Transfer or NX or become corrupted in some other software.

Try shooting a couple of fresh NEF’s and copy them straight from storage card into a folder. Then try opening in PSE using:

File >> Open

|
    Mark as:
  • 99jon
    12,821 posts
    Jan 6, 2010
    Jan 24, 2013 2:42 PM   in reply to Raddang

I could be a lack of system resources (RAM) or file corruption. Do the NEF’s open in Nikon software assuming you got some raw software converter with the camera? Otherwise you would need to get the files tested on another system. I just downloaded a specimen NEF from DPReview from your camera model. The file size is about 11mb (not vast by today’s standards) and it opened first tome in PSE11 camera raw.

Click to view

nikond5000.png

|
    Mark as:
  • 99jon
    12,821 posts
    Jan 6, 2010
    Jan 25, 2013 6:36 AM   in reply to Raddang

As I have shown above NEF files from the d5000 do work with Adobe software. From Full Edit in PSE 7 or Expert Mode in PSE11 you simply click File >> Open and navigate to a NEF. There is no need to use the drop-down format list in Open As.

The only problem I know of with NEFs is where new cameras are used with old versions of Nikon software (see link) but I think that is not the problem in your case.

Sorry it's not working for you.

https://nikoneurope-en.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/53027

|
    Mark as:
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jan 25, 2013 6:38 AM   in reply to Raddang

If you want to post one of your NEF files, here, someone else can try to import it, to determine whether there is something wrong with the files, themselves, or with your computer’s software installation.  To post a larger file you can upload it to www.dropbox.com making an account if necessary, and then reply with the public download link to the file.

You can also test your computer’s raw compatibility by downloading a sample NEF file from the internet.  For example there are several D5000 raw files linked at the bottom of this page:  http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/nikond5000/15

Here is an ISO 1600 example:  http://movies.dpreview.com.s3.amazonaws.com/nikon_d5000/Studio_ISO1600 .zip

|
    Mark as:
  • 99jon
    12,821 posts
    Jan 6, 2010
    Jan 25, 2013 6:59 AM   in reply to Raddang

You could do a final check on file association. Go to:

Control Panel >> Default Programs >> Set Associations

Make sure .8bi is associated with Adobe Photoshop Elements 11

|
    Mark as:
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jan 25, 2013 8:04 AM   in reply to Raddang

Assuming you unzipped the NEF out of the archive it came it, if the sample NEF wouldn’t open then the problem isn’t that the NEFs from your particular camera are corrupted.

It is possible that ACR 7.x needs some math function from the CPU that your old computer does not have and PSE 11 refuses to load it.  Not that it’ll make things work but you could post all the info that PSE / Help / System Information lists, making sure any serial numbers in the list are removed.  I think PSE has Sys Info.  I only have Photoshop on the computer I’m at right now and it has Sys Info.

My oldish computer has the following for CPU information in Sys Info and runs ACR 7.x just fine:

System architecture: Intel CPU Family:15, Model:2, Stepping:7 with MMX, SSE Integer, SSE FP, SSE2

|
    Mark as:
  • 99jon
    12,821 posts
    Jan 6, 2010
    Jan 25, 2013 8:18 AM   in reply to Raddang

Is that just PSE or PSE7?

Make sure the PSE7 File Format folder has the 5.4 version or even 5.5 (the last update for PSE7)

http://www.adobe.com/support/downloads/detail.jsp?ftpID=4524

|
    Mark as:
  • 99jon
    12,821 posts
    Jan 6, 2010
    Jan 25, 2013 10:02 AM   in reply to Raddang

When you open the zip folder click Extract all files >> extract.

A new folder should open with Camera Raw 8bi

Drag it to file formats

C:\Program Files\Common Files\Adobe\Plug-Ins\Elements 7\File Formats

NB Program Files (x86) on 64 bit systems

Delete the existing 8bi file first.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers