Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Reorganize existing photos by date

Jan 24, 2013 12:21 PM

I have CS6 Bridge, and when I import from camera I can choose to group them by date. However, I have a lot of old photos on disk organized differently - is it possible to reorganize them the same way by date? Or are you guys aware of a good Windows tool to group photos by their date?

Edit: just found that Picasa can import from a folder (not just camera) and organize by date. Still, would love to hear a way to do it through Bridge.

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jan 24, 2013 12:38 PM   in reply to Sekhar Ravinutala

On the right side of the toolbar there is sort by xxxx.  Pick your poision.

|
    Mark as:
  • Omke Oudeman
    4,001 posts
    Nov 27, 2004
    Jan 24, 2013 1:24 PM   in reply to Sekhar Ravinutala

No, that just sorts. What I need is reorganize.

After having them sorted on date taken you can reorganize them your self, either study a bit about using collections and smart collections and from that place the found files in a folder using drag and drop to the new folder or create those folders and from the sorted result drag and drop them in the wanted folders.

If you use the folder panel to have the folders to drag on in view and also the filter panel with the 'date created' you have also that option to manual reorganize in an easy way

And if you select the main folder and from menu view use show items from subfolder you have to let Bridge cache a bit and then you can also use the filter panel to select date created.

Or you can use a script but you have to create a script are hoping that someone will create this for you

plenty of options

|
    Mark as:
  • Omke Oudeman
    4,001 posts
    Nov 27, 2004
    Jan 24, 2013 2:45 PM   in reply to Sekhar Ravinutala

I'll watch this thread and log a feature request if it turns out Bridge doesn't have that capability

I agree that it would be useful to have the possibility to also import from HD but meanwhile you do have plenty of options to reach what you need. You only need to read a bit about Bridge, use the view items from subfolder to have all the files in the content window (depending on size and amount this takes time and eats resources and RAM) but before you start experimenting you should make a proper back up of the existing files.

Another option to sort on date would be batch renaming:

Select all the files in the content window and choose menu tools/ batch rename. Inhere select the option to choose for the first field: date and time / date created / yyyymmdd and the next field current file name and check the result for first file at the bottom of the rename window under preview.

You should end up with the creation date in front of the current filename and while using yyyymmdd you have a natural sort order for the files.

If you are happy hit OK and wait a while for the renaming to be saved to the files. Now hit sort by filename.

Personally I have my image files stored in folder per year and month, the day in front does the rest for natural sort order.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points