Skip navigation
kcwalinski@dcca.com
Currently Being Moderated

How to automatically create topics from imported Word files - RH9

Jan 24, 2013 3:10 PM

Tags: #toc #robohelp_9 #topics #automatic_creation_of_topics #automatic_toc

I've used RoboHelp before, but not this version (RH9). In the past (version 6 or 7?), I've been able to import Word docs and RoboHelp has referenced the styles to automatically create and organize help topics and make a nice TOC. Now, when I import files, it's creating a single, long topic and creating a TOC that's a train wreck. What do I need to do to have it recognize that there should be a separate topic for anything with a Header 1, 2, or 3, and organize them properly under each other so when you look at the TOC, Header 2 items are indented under Header 1, and Header 3 items are indented under Header 2? There has to be a simple way to do this. Manually dragging and dropping items that come from about 1500 pages of Word docs is ridiculous. And even when I do that, I can't make the Heading 3 items indent enough; the arrow's grayed out. Any guidance is much appreciated. Thanks.

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jan 25, 2013 4:18 AM   in reply to kcwalinski@dcca.com

First you might want to consider registering a new user name. Email addresses are not a good idea unless you like spam.

It looks like you need to set pagination against the styles to be used to create new topics. See Importing on my site.

See www.grainge.org for RoboHelp and Authoring tips

@petergrainge

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 25, 2013 8:20 AM   in reply to kcwalinski@dcca.com

Karen - your screenshot got stripped off by the forum software - use the camera icon on the web interface of the forum to include screenshots

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 25, 2013 8:51 AM   in reply to kcwalinski@dcca.com

Yes, that's better. I'd throw this one away & start again pulling 1 doc at a time. Did you read Peter's help on importing?

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 25, 2013 9:59 AM   in reply to kcwalinski@dcca.com

So there's obviously something different between the Chapter 1 and 2 docs then - you'll need to dig into that to get a handle on what's happening.

|
    Mark as:
  • RoboColum(n)
    5,356 posts
    Oct 8, 2004
    Currently Being Moderated
    Jan 28, 2013 1:43 AM   in reply to kcwalinski@dcca.com

If it helps you can use the Topic List pod to move multiple topics in one shot.

http://www.cmcandrew.com/robocolumn/archives/1487

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 1, 2013 10:50 AM   in reply to kcwalinski@dcca.com

The default sort order in Project Manager is alphabetical. If you click the A-Z icon on Project Manager, you can then rearrange things as you wish.

See www.grainge.org for RoboHelp and Authoring tips

@petergrainge

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points