Skip navigation
ElenaTopaz
Currently Being Moderated

InDesign data merge isn't pulling in all fields, seems to be confusing some fields

Jan 24, 2013 3:42 PM

Tags: ##data_merge ##merge ##labels

Hi there - I'm trying to do a data merge in CS6 for about 450 address labels. The labels are 10-up so I made a .csv file with 10 equal sets of colums (named Firstname1, Firstname2, Firstname3, etc.) and merged those into my label document. I've done this before plenty of times with no problem, but for some reason this time the merge seems to be getting thrown off by something. I can see multiple places in which the merge will stop after a certain field - usually the address - then there will be a bunch of blank labels, then on the next page the address from the last label will start up again. I've attached a screen shot of what it looks like when the address breaks like this. In the top image, Troy Christian's merge breaks after the street again. Then a few blank labels follow, then Troy's city, state, and zip appear at the beginning of the next page. Then it continues on with the next address block (inserting commas along the way for some reason), then it breaks again.

I've scoured both the merge fields and the Excel file - nothing seems out of the ordinary - resaved the Excel over and over as both .csv's and .txt's, and can't get it to fix. Any ideas here?? Please let me know if there's any further info I can provide.

Thank you!

Screen shot 2013-01-24 at 3.37.44 PM.png

Screen shot 2013-01-24 at 3.32.38 PM.png

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jan 24, 2013 3:58 PM   in reply to ElenaTopaz

We've seen reoprts like this since CS5 that are associated with using the Preview in Data Merge. If you used the preview button, try the merge again without previewing.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 25, 2013 3:07 AM   in reply to ElenaTopaz

Remake the data file, by which I mean save it from the spreadsheet again, then open it in a plain text editor and take a really close look at it.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 25, 2013 3:09 AM   in reply to Peter Spier

Sorry. Didn't really finish my thought. You need to be sure there are no odd characters or line breaks where there shouldn't be and that every record has the same number of fields (count the commas, if you use .csv). I suspect you may have an extra comma in a string not enclosed in quotes.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 26, 2013 5:55 AM   in reply to ElenaTopaz

Which part worked?

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers