Hi there - I'm trying to do a data merge in CS6 for about 450 address labels. The labels are 10-up so I made a .csv file with 10 equal sets of colums (named Firstname1, Firstname2, Firstname3, etc.) and merged those into my label document. I've done this before plenty of times with no problem, but for some reason this time the merge seems to be getting thrown off by something. I can see multiple places in which the merge will stop after a certain field - usually the address - then there will be a bunch of blank labels, then on the next page the address from the last label will start up again. I've attached a screen shot of what it looks like when the address breaks like this. In the top image, Troy Christian's merge breaks after the street again. Then a few blank labels follow, then Troy's city, state, and zip appear at the beginning of the next page. Then it continues on with the next address block (inserting commas along the way for some reason), then it breaks again.
I've scoured both the merge fields and the Excel file - nothing seems out of the ordinary - resaved the Excel over and over as both .csv's and .txt's, and can't get it to fix. Any ideas here?? Please let me know if there's any further info I can provide.
Sorry. Didn't really finish my thought. You need to be sure there are no odd characters or line breaks where there shouldn't be and that every record has the same number of fields (count the commas, if you use .csv). I suspect you may have an extra comma in a string not enclosed in quotes.
We didn't end up even looking at it in a text editor, although that probably would have been easier - we just saw where the errors were occurring in the merge and looked carefully at those cells in the .csv file, and then deleted line breaks, commas, and weird characters. Worked like a dream.
Thank you so much for your help on this!
Europe, Middle East and Africa