Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Comments for:

Jan 24, 2013 5:40 PM

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jan 28, 2013 8:41 AM   in reply to Community Help

I need to have a default colour space setting of sRGB for a paticular job I am doing at present. My default is set to Adobe RGB 1998. I have recently updated to PS6 and I cant seem to find how to change the colour space default. I have gone into Colour Settings and changed the setting in there to sRGB, but when I open a NEW file the default is still Adobe 1998. OK I know I can change this there, but I am not achieving the DEFAULT I am seeking.

Where am I going wrong please?

Cheers

Mark

|
    Mark as:
  • Omke Oudeman
    4,001 posts
    Nov 27, 2004
    Jan 28, 2013 10:05 AM   in reply to Magone10

I need to have a default colour space setting of sRGB for a paticular job I am doing at present.

If you have to deliver jpegs from raw then your quickest way would be to use ACR, choose the Raw files inBridge and open them in ACR. Then click the blue underlined 'link' bottom centre in ACR window and choose sRGB for color setting.

If you already have files that only need to be converted you best create an action in PS. To record this one open 1 file and choose Edit / Convert to profile and from the window choose sRGB. Hit OK and choose save as (without touching the filename, otherwise all files will be overwritten by the same filename) and choose a proper location to save the files in (so you leave your originals untouched). Then choose close the file.

Give the action a proper name so you can find it again easily. Now select the files you want to convert in Bridge and choose menu Tools / Photoshop / Batch and from the window find and choose your action for converting to sRGB

Let it run and if it are a lot of files take a coffee or a walk and you will be done when getting back to the computer

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 28, 2013 2:34 PM   in reply to Omke Oudeman

Thanks Omke

Good of you to reply.

One small error, not sure how it occured but my  request was for Photoshop not Bridge.

owever, I did sus out the Colour settings menu and realised that I could change the colour space there, but I thoufht there was somewhere in preferences! However, I must be mistaken.

Vis a Vis Bridge, I am trying to move away from it and use Light room 4 more. This is the first time I have used Lr and as powerful as it is, and, I like it very much, I find Bridge is better for organising files. But I guess that will change when I become more use to Lr.

Once again, Many thanks,

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 29, 2013 12:59 PM   in reply to Community Help

So I understand that the best choices for Creative Suite color settings are either sRGB or Adobe RGB 1998. sRGB is good for web use but Adobe RGB 1998 is good for printing. What if I am doing both with my photos? A lot of my photos are just on the web for viewing, but I also sell photos online as prints......which color setting should I choose then? Do I have to switch depending on the image I'm working on or is one of these settings good for both web and print?

Thanks!

|
    Mark as:
  • Omke Oudeman
    4,001 posts
    Nov 27, 2004
    Apr 29, 2013 4:36 PM   in reply to natmuzzini

Do I have to switch depending on the image I'm working on or is one of these settings good for both web and print?

No, just set your color management based to Adobe RGB. A much wider space then sRGB and also calibrate your monitor likewise.

Then handle all files with Adobe RGB and save the originals including a proper back up. If you have photo's for web explore the 'Save for Web' under the menu File in PS (mind you, starting this conversion with a small file works much faster then starting with the original large sized.

I personally created a row of actions containing resizing, save as to a new location and if needed, convert to sRGB (PS / Edit/ Convert to profile) or Save for Web. If you create a set of actions for resizing record two for each size, one landscape and one portrait. Then create a new action and use 'insert conditional' and add the if Then for both landscape and portrait. Works very good and fast.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points