Skip navigation
mervyntomsk
Currently Being Moderated

PSE5 not writing tags to photo files

Jan 25, 2013 5:16 AM

Having invested hours, weeks, and months in the process of tagging my many thousands of family photographs within PSE5, I am dismayed to find that having taken the manual step of writing the tags to the files, that only some of them have indeed done so. Quite a few of my photo files are showing up in Windows Explorer with the tags I have given them safely in place - great. However, twice as many appear to not be tagged at all. Can anyone explain to me what has happened and how I can rectify it, please? The prospect of having to tag them all again leaves me wanting to go and stick my head in a blender.

A second problem is that, inexplicably, PSE5 recently started creating duplicate photo files with a "edTMP" suffix - they recreate the exact same file with the exact same file size. The only difference is that, where tags have been saved to a photo, the "edTMP" version does not include the tags. So, I just delete these files, but with the number that PSE is creating, it is a very time consuming job. Does anyone have any idea why this is happening and how I can stop it, please?

Many, many thanks in advance to anyone who can help me rectify these really maddening issues. Thanks! And best wishes.

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Feb 15, 2013 3:03 AM   in reply to mervyntomsk

First problem - It might be possible that while using 'Write keyword tag and properties info to photos' option, Organizer may have shown some errors (saying like 'Skipping invalid files'). As a result write operation may not be applied on some files. This may happen if there are some permissions issues with images. Please check that all your files are writable.

Second option - This is an extension of first problem. Whenever Organizer fails to do any file operation (in your case 'Write keyword tag..' option), it creates a temp file. There is no way of deleting these files from withing Organizer (you need to delete them manually).

~Andromeda

|
    Mark as:
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Feb 15, 2013 4:02 AM   in reply to mervyntomsk

If the files are NEF files, there is a known bug that is involved, the tags aren't written. Replicated here and elsewhere.

I'm told there are occasional other situations where tags are not written to JPGs or other file types, I didn't experience this myself.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points