Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Drupal and Wordpress Integration in Dreamweaver

Jan 25, 2013 8:58 AM

Tags: #dreamweaver #cs6 #cms #wordpress #joomla #drupal

Hello,

I have started learning Wordpress and Drupal. I know Dreamweaver.

I understand in both CMS platform I have to make Custom Design Template in Dreamweaver to satisfy my client needs.

So I am wondering, is Dreamweaver having better integration with Wordpress or Drupal for building design template and etc?

I have choose Drupal & Wordpress over Joomla because for currently available extensions -

Wordpress has 23,277 plugins.

Drupal has 19,600 modules.

Joomla has 10,000 extensions.

Though some are commercial, some are outdated, some have bugs etc.

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jan 25, 2013 3:03 PM   in reply to Sandip_Choudhury

Themegenie has an extension for Dreamweaver that helps you customize Drupal Themes.

http://themegenie.net/

Tips for Creating Drupal Themes in DW
    http://www.webdea.com/drupal-themes-with-dreamweaver.html

Working with Drupal in DW
    http://www.adobe.com/devnet/dreamweaver/articles/dw_working_with_drupa l.html

Nancy O.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 26, 2013 10:20 AM   in reply to Sandip_Choudhury

Either one.  But you need to be able to work with code because Design view won't be much help to you.

Nancy O.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 27, 2013 9:54 AM   in reply to Sandip_Choudhury

I don't know what you are expecting DW to do for you.  Dreamweaver is a code editor.  It's not a visual design editor for content management systems.  It enables code hinting for those content management systems to help you program better, but I'm not sure what you are expecting it to do more than that.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 28, 2013 5:55 AM   in reply to Sandip_Choudhury

Themegenie is an extension.  I have personally have never used their extension, but I am sure if you ask them they will be able to provide you with the necessary answers.  It will also let you know whether they have good support for their extensions.  As far as DW is concerned, all tools related to the CMS integration, without the use of extensions, is purely to help coding and provide a live view in the editor to show how code changes impact the design.  It is not a WYSIWYG editor for modifying themes, nor does it claim to be.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 28, 2013 9:55 AM   in reply to Sandip_Choudhury

WordPress and Drupal work pretty much the same way.  You have 800+ files in some 80 folders.  None of the files are complete web pages.  Rather, the are fragments of server-side code that are assembled on the fly by the web server with content from the MySql Database.  You must be able to work with code to customize either Wordpress or Drupal themes.

Nancy O.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 28, 2013 1:00 PM   in reply to Sandip_Choudhury

I don't know if this will help, but I spent about 6 months trying to learn Drupal and finally abandoned it. It's a good program for very simple web pages and extensive community-driven sites, but trying to do anything 'outside the box' with it is very difficult. Unless you're a geek with a high income from another source, I'd give serious thought to abandoning Drupal. You can build a content-managed page with basic PHP and MySQL skills which are a lot easier to learn. Dreamweaver is a very solid framework for adding your code within its HTML

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 29, 2013 5:24 AM   in reply to Sandip_Choudhury

I have to disagree about the Drupal comments.  From having to work a lot with boxed CMS frameworks recently, I would have to say from understanding, Drupal and Typo3 are probably the most robust options on the market.  Drupal is not good at all for simple webpages and in fact, for simple sites I would recommend towards the likes of Wordpress and Perch.  I would only recommend Drupal for websites that are robust with lots of content and need structure and organization on the backend.  The other big one, Joomla I look at as a cross-breed between the two ends, but I usually end up away from it, unless there is money to invest because most quality addons/extensions/modules are paid for and not free which means even a simple site in Joomla could easily run $100-200 more in fixed costs.

As for learning Drupal, I found the curve much easier once I picked up on themes like Omega, and addons like Panels.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 29, 2013 8:33 AM   in reply to Sandip_Choudhury

I learned Drupal from a couple of books. The best was an O'Reilly book on learning Drupal 6, not the Drupal 7 current release. The Drupal 6 book takes you through several scenarios and is really helpful. It should work for Drupal 7 as well.

The website is nearly useless for learning Drupal but there are lots of creative people on YouTube who document their own achievements.

I learned PHP and MySQL from a couple of Quick-Start books mostly by Larry Ullman but also others.  I found PHP and MySQL logical and a pleasure to work with.

I also leanred CSS from the CSS Missing Manual book. It's not bad but CSS grows on you once you've grasped the conecept.

I realize others swear by Drupal but I just hate it. It's slow and unbelieveably cumbersome. If you're building a small site, such as one for an online store or local community group you can do just as well with PHP and the results will look much better. Simply throwing Drupal add-ons at the problema nd following their default layouts leads to ugly, utilitarian-looking sites. I realize this is changing as themes improve. I keep revisiting Drupal and hope it finally improves to the point where it's as usuable as creating your own stuff.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 30, 2013 10:28 AM   in reply to Sandip_Choudhury

Of the 3 big open source CMS frameworks, WordPress is the easiest.  Drupal is the hardest.  Joomla! is somewhere in between.  No matter which one you choose to customize, you'll need to be able to work with PHP & MySql.

WordPress vs Drupal vs Joomla!

Nancy O.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 30, 2013 2:00 PM   in reply to Sandip_Choudhury

Drupal is for code nuts, Joomla is far more manageable.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 16, 2013 10:38 AM   in reply to Nancy O.

Another great in depth article comparing the three from install to final results can be found at ...

http://www.computerworld.com/s/article/9219685/Site_builder_shootout_D rupal_vs._Joomla_vs._WordPress?pageNumber=1

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points