Skip navigation
Steven Branscombe
Currently Being Moderated

Lightroom 4.3, Windows8 export file problem

Jan 25, 2013 8:52 AM

Tags: #lightroom #export #windows8 #4.3 #operations

I am running Lightroom 4.3 on a new Windows8 Lenovo PC (T430s).  After importing and developing the files, I use the export function to limit file size to 2 meg.  After the export is complete, I receive a error message on a screen that reads "some export operations were not performed" and I receive a list of "file could not be written."  Actually, all files are written, but they are not limited to 2 meg.  I run LR4.1 on a Windows7 pc at my home office, and I use the same settings on both machines.  Any suggestions?

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jan 25, 2013 8:56 AM   in reply to Steven Branscombe

Can you post a screen shot of the Export Dialog with the settings you use?

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 25, 2013 10:12 AM   in reply to Steven Branscombe

Thanks, please post also a screen shot with that part of the Export Dialog that contains <File Settings> and <Image Sizing>.

It would be between screen shot 2 and 3 of your post.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 25, 2013 12:28 PM   in reply to Steven Branscombe

Thanks.

I can see nothing in your Export Dialog that would explain why limiting the file size doesn't work.

Unless the original files are also jpgs and are in the same folder you are exporting to.

In that case the originals would not be overwritten since you don't have selected <Overwrite without Warning> and you don't change the file name.

Try this: In the <File Naming> panel of the Export Dialog set the exported images to a different file name. For instance just add a suffix like "copy" or "export".

Does <Limit File Size> work, now?

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 25, 2013 1:02 PM   in reply to Steven Branscombe

Hmmm ... I'm stumped.

Does this happen with all exported images or only with some of them?

If it is happening with all of them it could be a setting that is preventing it.

It could be due to a corrupt Preference File. This file can go "funny" and is then responsible for all kinds of strange behavior of Lr. The remedy is replacing the Preference File.

BTW: Re-installing Lr does not replace the Pref File since it is designed to "survive" Lr updates and upgrades.

See here for where to find the Preference file for your OS: http://helpx.adobe.com/lightroom/kb/preference-file-locations-lightroo m-4.html

See here for how to go about Replacing the Preference File: http://lightroomers.com/replacing-the-lightroom-preference-file/745/

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 13, 2013 3:31 PM   in reply to web-weaver

Hi, reset prefs didn't change anything in my case but  this little trick worked : export on an external drive.

Could you try it ?

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 16, 2013 5:32 PM   in reply to web-weaver

sad

I have the same problem LR 4.3 Win 8. Exporting files with LR of any file type NEF, TIF, or jpg to a jpg file. If I want to constrain the file size say to 1,000kb it will fail on a lot of the files. If I export say 10 files it will fail on about half of them "Some export operations were not performed". When viewing the target folder with windows explorer the failed files show up as and icon "PS" where the ones that made it will show the thumnail of the photo. If it try to view or delet these files it tells me that the file is being edited in LR. As soon as I close LR the files become available in windows explores but the files size was not constrained to the size I specified in the export function.  I am exporting to a different folder than the original files are in.  This problem started a couple weeks ago when I updated Win 7 to Win 8.  The original files can be any size, or image type.  It seem that it is always the same files that will fail if I retry doing the export.  If I do not check the "Limit file size to:" box so that the file size is not constrained then the export works just fine except that I end up with too large of a file.  I also use the image size function to size the image and that creates no problems.

So it would seem that limiting the file size creates the problem.

Is there a fix for this in LR or is the problem in Win 8?

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 16, 2013 5:52 PM   in reply to stoddone

This problem seems to appear only in Windows 8 so far. Can you try to export to an other drive or partition and see if it woks ?

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 16, 2013 6:06 PM   in reply to Terrenth

Terrenth,

Thank you!!! that solved the problem for me.  I was exporting to the C: drive.  I tried it to one of the other internal drives and the problem is gone, solved.  It still is a problem that should get fixed, but this is a workaround for now.  I'll have to put one more step in my process to copy the folder back to my main organized groups of exported photos.

Thanks so much.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 16, 2013 6:17 PM   in reply to stoddone

You're welcome

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 16, 2013 6:35 PM   in reply to Terrenth

Terrenth,

Are you with Adobe Systems?  Does this mean the problem will get fixed?  Seems like a change Microsoft made between Win 7 and 8 in some file handling or something that Adobe may need to address.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 1, 2013 11:51 AM   in reply to stoddone

Thanks a lot - was having the same problem getting the specific sizes required and also not being able to see exported images unless I closed LR... Exporting to a different drive has fixed the issues

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 6, 2013 4:05 PM   in reply to Steven Branscombe

For med, this was caused by some irreggularities in the Lightroom library folder. It happened when I moved over to a new computer with windows 8. I fixed it with this:

Close all programs using the picture catalog

Open security preferences for the folder where I store my pictures/catalog (the pictures folder in my case).

Add your user account and give it  Full Control permissions.

Replace permissions on all subfolders and files.

And hey presto, it works. I must add that there was no problem with the permissions on the pictures that failed to be exported.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 27, 2013 8:29 PM   in reply to Steven Branscombe

I am also having this problem, has it been resolved?  I try exporting, with size limitation, to my D:/ drive, a 3TB internal drive.  Half of the files give the "some export operations were not performed" error.  When I look at the folder in explorer, the ones with the problem show a generic icon instead of a thumbnail.  Clicking on one of them gives me a message that the files are being used by LR.  When I exit LR, the images are fully available, just larger than I had requested

If I switch the destination to my C:/ SSD, it works fine. The files that didn't have issues are exactly the same size.  The files that had problems are larger on the D drive.  I updated to the latest 4.4 but this apparently isn't one of the bugs that was fixed.  Having to export to a drive other then where all of my images are stored, in a very structured naming convention/folder hierarchy, is not an acceptable permanent workaround.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points