Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

3D Town Model for Video Project

Jan 25, 2013 9:05 AM

Tags: #3d #model #town

I need to build some 3D historic town models for a video project.   I own Production Premium which gives me access to the 3D features in CS6. Don't really want to spring for the Autodesk 3D stuff as this is a volunteer effort.

Has anybody tried a Photoshop / Premiere / After Effects animated model of some buildngs?  They're pretty simple geometry--old wood frame houses, etc.  Just want to maybe pan around a little.  Change the point of view.

Suggestions?   Alternatives (that don't cost as much as a new car)?

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jan 25, 2013 9:46 AM   in reply to John Ellenberger

If you want to use 3D software then bring it into CS6 I would suggest going over to DAZ3D and download their free DAZ Studio software.  I've been using Poser for years and if I hadn't been, I would be using theirs instead since everybody says it's terrific.  A few months ago, they were giving away the pro version which sold for about $400.  DAZ Studio also has a "3D Bridge for Photoshop" which can be used to transfer between the two programs.

They have a lot of models including people, buildings, streets, etc.  Some cheap, some a little pricey.  If you are a member of their Platinum Club, you get pretty good discounts and $1.99 products that are top of the line.  They also have a lot of sales and giveaways.  DAZ sells Bryce 7 which is a 3D landscaping program that is pretty cheap ($19.95) and sometimes they give it or older versions away.  However, a note on their product page says it's not compatible with Mac OSX Lion and Mountain Lion.

http://www.daz3d.com/products/daz-studio/daz-studio-what-is-daz-studio /

If you're never used 3D software before and decide to try it, it's very addictive.  DAZ Studio gives away a lot of models with their software to get you started.  The store is loaded with just about anything you're looking for.  I've been buying from them for more than ten years and highly recommend them for 3D products.  They also have a great return policy if you buy something you later find doesn't suit you.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 25, 2013 10:03 AM   in reply to John Ellenberger

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 25, 2013 10:08 AM   in reply to John Ellenberger

Blender is totally and completely free. It might just take a moment to learn... I'm not aware of specific resources for these kinds of buidings, as any arch-viz always involves some sort of copyright and specific building styles vary too much from country to country, so rarely ever anyone builds stock collections for this, but as suggested, Sketchup/ Google Marketplace might give access to some models. Naturalyl, also browse through Turbosquid. There may be some affordable collection there, after all...

Mylenium

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 25, 2013 10:19 AM   in reply to Mylenium

You'll find very few bargains at TurboSquid.  While they have quality models, they've always been expensive.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 25, 2013 10:40 AM   in reply to John Ellenberger

It is possible to do this in Photoshop, but it would difficult to do in Photoshop unless your buildings are going to be very simple. I would suggest taking a look at Blender (free and open source, yay!) to do modeling, then Photoshop to do texturing, After Effects to do compositing and animation, and then Premiere to do the final editing.

Sounds complicated, but the Adobe programs work very well together. If you have any more questions about this project be sure to share them here, I'd be happy to help .

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 25, 2013 11:10 AM   in reply to Mylenium

Mylenium wrote:

but as suggested, Sketchup/ Google Marketplace might give access to some models.

While true that there are ready-made models, I suggested that John try SketchUp for building his own models since he said, "I need to build some 3D historic town models [...] They're pretty simple geometry--old wood frame houses, etc."

SketchUp is far far easier to learn/use than Blender, and it was created to simplify architectural modelling.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 26, 2013 5:46 AM   in reply to conroy

Sure, but SketchUp is pretty buggy and in order to export anything to OBJ or other formats, you need the paid Pro version. The free version only exports to Google. Investing an afternoon in learning how to do some basic houses by stacking cubes and pyramids, extruding shapes and cutting some basic holes with Booleans might therefore be an option, after all...

Mylenium

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 26, 2013 5:49 AM   in reply to William Boswell

You'll find very few bargains at TurboSquid.  While they have quality models, they've always been expensive.

Depends. You can get reasonably priced models in the 50 Euro range per piece for many things. If you really need it, it's still okay. And even the more expensive stuff is usually worth its money - when it takes you 5 days to build your own Eiffel Tower and each day would cost your client at least 300 Euros, it would still be much more cost-efficient to just buy that 700 bucks model from TS and polish it up a bit... It really depends on the project, the time you have available and the budget.

Mylenium

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 26, 2013 8:58 AM   in reply to Mylenium

Mylenium wrote:

Sure, but SketchUp is pretty buggy

SketchUp is buggy. Blender is buggy. All 3D modelling software is buggy.

in order to export anything to OBJ or other formats, you need the paid Pro version. The free version only exports to Google.

The free SketchUp imports and exports DAE (Collada) which is supported by Photoshop Extended (and is a more feature-rich format than OBJ).

|
    Mark as:
  • Pierre Courtejoie
    7,038 posts
    Jan 11, 2006
    Jan 26, 2013 10:14 AM   in reply to John Ellenberger

John, I would recommend to watch Mylenium's blog: http://myleniumblog.com/ as he is building a city kit for cinema 4d, which is a soft that's used quite often with the animators.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 26, 2013 11:00 AM   in reply to conroy

The free SketchUp imports and exports DAE (Collada) which is supported by Photoshop Extended (and is a more feature-rich format than OBJ).

I was under the impression it only exports Googles custom flavor that doesn't work in normal 3D programs... Well, if it works, then I guess it's an option, after all. Thanks for the correction.

Mylenium

|
    Mark as:
  • Noel Carboni
    23,469 posts
    Dec 23, 2006
    Jan 26, 2013 11:07 AM   in reply to John Ellenberger

Notice that the experts (and there is no doubting the talent here) immediately jump into talking about 3D software other than Adobe.

-Noel

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 26, 2013 11:09 AM   in reply to Mylenium

It definitely works. I can export DAE from free SketchUp and import into Ps CS6 Extended.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 26, 2013 11:14 AM   in reply to Noel Carboni

Notice that the experts (and there is no doubting the talent here) immediately jump into talking about 3D software other than Adobe.

Amazing, ain't it? I wonder what could be the reason....

Mylenium

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points