Skip navigation
Jeremy_Silveira
Currently Being Moderated

multiple colored image button subpictures

Jan 25, 2013 11:41 AM

Tags: #encore #dvd #cs6 #subpicture #sub-picture

First time trying to use Encore after switching over from DVD Studio Pro

I have 1 menu page that has 4 buttons on it, with a subpicture for each button that indicated when the button is highlighted (which is an image of a police badge)

I googled/looked up FAQ's the best I could so I just want to make sure I'm right in the conclusion that I've come to where it's not possible to use an image that's more than a flat color for subpictures while burning a DVD?

Would there be some sort of work around for this if I built my menu in after effects rather than photoshop?  or I read something about creating multiple menu pages as a workaround and having the buttons auto activate to bring up the alternate menus?

or do I just need to go fill out a feature request?

Thanks,

- Jeremy

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jan 25, 2013 5:44 PM   in reply to Jeremy_Silveira

In my experience, it's been a real waste of time to do the workaround for making fancy button highlight (cutouts, dummy menus, auto-activate, etc).  There are some very limiting things that occur based on the DVD-spec itself, not just from authoring in Encore or Studio Pro.  The subpictures will only be 2-bit in the end (despite what they may look like when you simulate the disc).  Anything with an angled line will look extemely jagged on the final disc.  Dashes and underlines (min 8px high for blu-ray) are simple, but will work well.

You can try to make things based on the Encore help page: http://helpx.adobe.com/encore/using/button-subpictures-highlighting.ht mlhttp://

Try starting with one of the menus from within the Encore library to see how it looks.  There are some very distinct ways to make Encore recognize the buttons and highlights in a psd.  I'd suggest not overcomplicating things for your first go at it, but whatever, shoot for the moon.  It's always a good idea to make your psd exactly the way you want it BEFORE bringing it into a project (button order goes from the bottom up).  You don't want Encore thinking too hard.  This also goes for making the audio/video disc compliant before bringing it in.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 27, 2013 5:02 PM   in reply to Jeremy_Silveira

Jeremy,

Unlike SuperSoulVP, I have no issues with Dupe Menus, that "appear" to use an Image (not the 2-bit single color, that SuperSoul points out). It does entail some extra work, and keeping a sketch of the flow chart for those Dupe Menus is very handy. What you are describing is most commonly called a Button Roll-over Effect.

As mentioned, the Buttons on the "real Menu" will be set to Auto-Activate *, but will lead to an almost identical Dupe Menu (one for each Button). In a DVD hardware player, the user will not ever notice, and will assume that you have managed to defeat the DVD-specs. for Sub-picture Highlights, when it is only an illusion.

Good luck,

Hunt

* The limitation of the Auto-Activate setting for the Button will show up on a computer, if the user is playing the DVD with a DVD software player. The user will need to double-click, as Auto-Activate will not work on a computer.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 27, 2013 5:17 PM   in reply to Jeremy_Silveira

This thread has some links that might prove useful: http://forums.adobe.com/message/3051256#3051256

Per that thread, I have still not located Jeff Bellune's article, though most of that detail appears in his book, Focal Easy Guide to Adobe EncoreDVD 2.0, Focal Press.

Good luck,

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 27, 2013 5:19 PM   in reply to Bill Hunt

Here is another thread, with a bit more detail: http://forums.adobe.com/message/3777311#3777311

Good luck,

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 27, 2013 6:24 PM   in reply to Bill Hunt

Bill, I know that you're the man when it comes to authoring DVDs in Encore, and you have your methods very well sorted out.

The way auto-activate buttons work on a computer as opposed to how they work on a DVD player has often been why clients lean towards a more straight forward menu setup.  Generally, it's just a small aspect of what we do on any given project, so the authored disc usually has to look and sound great with foolproof menus.

It's sometimes ok, if you have the time, to cut your teeth on a complicated project with your first go in a new software program.  Sometimes it's better to get a disc that works, and build off that success.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points