Skip navigation
anthogaro123
Currently Being Moderated

Importing PDF to InDesign with select-able text

Jan 25, 2013 11:09 AM

Tags: #pdf #indesign #import #imported_pdf

I need to import a diagram saved as a PDF into InDesign and then be able to select the text in InDesign afterwards. The diagram includes images and text.  I've placed the PDF within my InDesign document, but it's imported as an image and the text is not accessible for selection (I do not need to edit the text, but will need it to be readable after I save my finished document as a PDF later).

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jan 25, 2013 11:50 AM   in reply to anthogaro123

You cannot place a PDF and edit it (or select parts of it), or any other graphical file. There are commercial plugins that will allow you to OPEN a PDF as an editable ID file, at which point you could copy/paste elements into a new document.  Why, exactly, do you need to be able to select text in the PDF after the file has been imported?

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 25, 2013 11:52 AM   in reply to anthogaro123

You won't be able to select the text in InDesign. You're not wrong to say the PDF is placed as an image, but in fact it's a sort of "hybrid." That is, while it behaves as an image, as long as it had live text coming in, it will retain it going back out (to PDF). In other words, the text in your second-generation PDF will be selectable in Reader/Acrobat. Have you tried it?

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 25, 2013 11:51 AM   in reply to anthogaro123

Export the PDF and check. It should be fine in the exported PDF.

Bob

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 25, 2013 12:01 PM   in reply to anthogaro123

What settings did you choose when you export to PDF?

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 25, 2013 12:04 PM   in reply to anthogaro123

Use the File > Place command to place the PDF into InDesign. Do not copy n paste.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points