Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Dreamweaver CS5 iPhone  drop down menu help needed

Jan 25, 2013 12:32 PM

Tags: #drop #cs5 #iphone #dreamweaver #screen #spry #down #menu #rollover #widget #touch

First let me confess that I this is my first attempt at using spry and to any significance CSS, I really don't understand how they work I am just an HTML guy.

That being said, I am building a site for a friend and he wants drop down menus so I thought I would learn how. I found the basics in a YouTube video and got the menus made. He of course tried it on his iPhone and they did not work.

I have done a lot of research and figured out I need spry 2. I also read some work arounds modifying code but it just went way over my head. I have never used widjets or anything and I need a sort of step by step on what exactly to do to get this working. I am sure if I do it once I will be able to do it again but I just can't seem to understand the instructions I have seen so far as they assume certain knowledge of the spry, widgets, java or CSS that I just don't have.

I would really appreciate if anyone could give me a step by step on doing this or even point me to such a tutorial.

Thanks!

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jan 25, 2013 12:48 PM   in reply to tmorris91

Spry drop-menus are invoked with hover or mouseOver triggers.  Since touch screen devices don't use a mouse, they cannot trigger the sub-menus to display.

The best you can do is create a null link on the primary menu <a href="#"> so that when the links are clicked by touch screen users, they will fire.  NOTE: This may not work in older Spry frameworks.

As an FYI:  Adobe abandoned the Spry framework because it has outlived its usefulness.  

http://blogs.adobe.com/dreamweaver/2012/08/update-on-adobe-spry-framew ork-availability.html

If you want menus that work in newer devices, consider using a 3rd party product or jQuery plugin.

Nancy O.

|
    Mark as:
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jan 25, 2013 3:24 PM   in reply to tmorris91

As Nancy mentioned, Spry is dead technology. Adobe abandoned it last year. I wouldn't worry about learning it.

For a straightforward point-and-shoot commercial (paid for) solution which just works, including on mobile iDevices, try

http://www.projectseven.com/products/menusystems/pmm2/index.htm

I have no affiliation with Project Seven. Just a happy customer for a decade and their support is exemplary.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points