Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Photoshop won't drag and drop.

Jan 25, 2013 12:44 PM

Tags: #drop #photoshop #issue #drag #windows8 #cs6extended

I've been using photoshop cs6 Extended for almost a year now and never have had any problems with it. Recently however, I purchased a desktop with Windows 8, and when I reinstalled Photoshop on that, I have had problems since. When I move to drag something onto photoshop (Whenetheir it's from the internet or a folder on my Computer), A black Stop icon that represents my mouse refuses to let me. I can still open files normally with the "Open" tab in Photoshop I've already tried the following:

Running as both adminstrator and non-adminstartor

Made sure "Clip thumbnails to document bounds" is checked"

Resetting Photoshop Preferences

Made sure none of files I wanted to drap and drop were "Read only"

In addition, When I'm moving files, the background for some reasons flickers. I would really appreciate anyones help! Once again, My OS is Windows 8 and my Version of photoshop is cs6 extended.   

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jan 25, 2013 1:03 PM   in reply to Brandon delson

This function is controlled by OS.  Will drag and drop work with other programs?

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 25, 2013 1:05 PM   in reply to Brandon delson

THe flickering screen is a known problem with Win8 and the video card driver.  Make sure you have latest driver.  Can also use basic GPU setting in PS preferences as it seems to help.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 25, 2013 3:43 PM   in reply to Brandon delson

Again, Win8 has known problems that cause the flickering.  The issue has not yet been fixed (though the latest ATI drivers try to minimize it). There are other topics about the Win8 flicker problem.

And I think he meant other programs in general (dragging from Explorer to the apps).

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 25, 2013 5:21 PM   in reply to Brandon delson

Might read this link.  It is for CS5 and Win7 but same rules should apply.  http://forums.adobe.com/message/3705890

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 25, 2013 6:55 PM   in reply to Brandon delson

Unless you did something with a special program Bridge is on your machine as it is part of photoshop.  If you just deleted it you may have fouled up files and links.  THere is no uninstall for Bridge.

|
    Mark as:
  • Noel Carboni
    23,478 posts
    Dec 23, 2006
    Currently Being Moderated
    Jan 26, 2013 6:16 AM   in reply to Brandon delson

Brandon delson wrote:

My Radeon 7470  display driver is up to date. Running with Basic Preformance in photoshop doesn't seem to help etheir. Do you have anymore suggestions? I deeply appreciate any help I can get!

ATI has been struggling to make good drivers, since about August of last year.  I don't know if they're feeling the financial crunch (I've heard AMD isn't doing that well), or if they lost someone good from their development organization, or what, but their recent driver releases - including the Catalyst 13.1 release - have problems.

My suggestion to you is to uninstall ATI Catalyst entirely, seek out version 12.8 from last year (it's on their web site), and install that.  I find it works much better with Photoshop CS6, and I've heard from some using Windows 8 that it's even working better in some ways for the new OS in general than the most current version (Catalyst 13.1 as of the time of this writing).  If it doesn't help, there's no problem with upgrading back to the current version again.

Good luck.

-Noel

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points