Skip navigation
gubbagumma
Currently Being Moderated

CS5 Animation Timeline problems (display/graphics glitches)

Jan 25, 2013 12:54 PM

Tags: #cs5 #bug #display #graphics #glitch #animation #timeline

In CS5 12.0.5 x64 I use the Animation Timeline to create frame by frame animations and most of the time it works fine. However recently I am encountering a problem with the display. The problems seem to happen whenever I make a selection with the lasso and do a Free Transform (it especially doesn't like rotations). The 'marching ants' along with the entire display seems to freeze up and not respond. Clicking other layers will not change the 'frozen' image until I make a stroke with the tablet or mouse, then the image refreshes to the new selected layer, but stays frozen in the same way, and so on. The animation in the timeline will not playback through the frames/layers once this happens and I have to restart the program. Then the bug happens again as soon as I make another free transform. It doesn't seem to affect all my files, only certain ones where I use the Animation Timeline.

I have an i7 processor with 12gb of ram and an EVGA Geforce GTX 560 Ti with the latest drivers. I have OpenGL turned off and have deleted my preferences.

Here are my performance settings (this may be the problem?):

I Let Photoshop Use 6319 MB (58%)

My History States are 65

Cache Levels are 4

Cache Tile Size is 128K

Scratch Disk is just C:\

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jan 26, 2013 7:17 AM   in reply to gubbagumma

You are probably causing a logic loop where PS tries to propagate your operations. Well, whatever, your workflow just sounds wrong. If you need to make transforms, isolate the parts to separate layers and transform the entire layer.

Mylenium

|
    Mark as:
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jan 26, 2013 8:59 PM   in reply to gubbagumma

It kind of sounds like a memory or video driver issue. What resolution is your document set at?

Mylenium is correct. When creating frame based animation each frame is linked to a layer. So to animate the motion of the selected portion it needs to be on new layers as it moves (each time you rotate or move, create a new layer. The smaller the increment the more layers needed, but will produce a smoother longer animation). The stationary portion(s) don't need to be on new layers because they are not moving and can be seen due to the transparent areas around the selection.

I hope that  makes sense.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points