Skip navigation
HammyKG
Currently Being Moderated

.jpg resizes when placed into InDesign

Jan 25, 2013 1:43 PM

Tags: #cs6

I am trying to place two images into my ID document. The first one is a 350x200px jpg. The second is a 728x90px jpg. Both have been saved out of PS in the exact same way. The first jpg places at 100%, but the second places at 50%. I have tried creating new jpegs for testing, checked all my settings, but I can't find why this is happening. Why aren't both of my images placing at 100%?

I am on the most up-to-date version of InDesign (8.0.1).

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jan 25, 2013 3:24 PM   in reply to HammyKG

Hi HammyKG,

You need to take a look at the document settings for your images. It sounds like they have different pixels per inch (PPI) measurements.

If I have two images that are both 300px by 300px:

Screen Shot 2013-01-25 at 3.20.21 PM.png

and place them in InDesign, but one is 72ppi and the other is 300ppi they will place at different sizes:

Screen Shot 2013-01-25 at 3.17.53 PM.png

It is a little bit confusing if you are coming from a web design background where pixels are the only way to define size, but in print PPI is king. If you have Photoshop you can open these images and change their PPI by going to Image > Image Size and changing the Resolution option. If you are printing the document I would recommend you make the PPI 300. If you are using it on the web I would make it 72ppi.

Screen-Shot-2013-01-25-at-3.21.33-PM.png

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 26, 2013 8:28 AM   in reply to HammyKG

Forget the pixels. That's not what you need to be looking at. The top image is 4.167" x3.472" The bottom one is 10.11" x1.25"

They look just about right though it's impossible to tell without seeing the actual files.

Bob

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 26, 2013 9:49 AM   in reply to HammyKG

I'm gong to believe that you've saved both at 72 ppi and one really is placing at 50%. First, there was a bug that would scale images of some certain dimenesion, but that probably is not what's happening. Second, sometimes ID guesses about images that were never actually saved in Photoshop, but are direct from the camera.

And third, and probably the most likey, in my opinion, are you placing the files into existing frames? The frame may have had a scaling factor or fitting option applied before you placed the image.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 28, 2013 12:53 PM   in reply to HammyKG

TRy adding 1 pixel to the width and height on the one that is scaling and see if it comes in at 100%

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 28, 2013 1:37 PM   in reply to HammyKG

Do you remember I mentioned a bug in my previous post? I think you just found another set of dimensions that triggers it. You can report it at Adobe - Feature Request/Bug Report Form and maybe it will be fixed sometime around CS9.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 28, 2013 2:46 PM   in reply to Peter Spier

CS9? might be funnier if I could figure out whether you were being pessimistic or optimistic ...

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 28, 2013 2:53 PM   in reply to MW Design

A little of both, I guess. This is the second time I kow of that this has been reported, so it's real enough, but it's also only the second time and the last time was over a year ago, I'm pretty sure, so it isn't affecting a lot of users, and it doesn't crash the file or anything awful, so it's got to be low priority.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points