Skip navigation
MrMoneyPig
Currently Being Moderated

Massive harddrive issue

Jan 25, 2013 2:36 PM

Tags: #photoshop #crash #cs6

Hi

I was happily using Photoshop CS6, then it kept telling me that the scratch disk was full even though I had 99GB free.  The Adobe agent told me to uninstall photoshops, which I did but since doing that I only have 16GB free.  Where has my other 83GB gone?!  Photoshop froze when editing a HUGE file and never recovered prior to being uninstalled.  Would there be a huge tmp file floating around?  How do I track it down?  I am using Windows 7.  I teid searching for 'size:gigantic' but no luck there

Can anyone help please?

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jan 25, 2013 3:14 PM   in reply to MrMoneyPig

Look in:

C:\Users\Your Name\AppData\Local\Temp

Yes, if the file was taking up that much scratch, then you need more than 100gb free on your hard drive or use a second empty hard drive for the photoshop scratch space.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 25, 2013 3:22 PM   in reply to MrMoneyPig

Most likely whatever you were attempting to do would have required more then the 99GB that you had free.

Sometimes people forget that resolution values can result in huge images, or that loading and combining many images can require a lot of scratch space.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 25, 2013 3:41 PM   in reply to MrMoneyPig

Uninstalling the app wouldn't take space away from the drive, it would free up more space.

Check the TEMP folder that R_Kelly pointed you to.

Recovery files or leftover scratch files from a crash are all that I can think of that Photoshop could leave behind.

|
    Mark as:
  • Noel Carboni
    23,488 posts
    Dec 23, 2006
    Currently Being Moderated
    Jan 25, 2013 4:42 PM   in reply to MrMoneyPig

Use the Disk Cleanup facility of Windows, if that's what you've got.  That can clean out your TEMP files if you instruct it to.

-Noel

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points