Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

How to save from LR3 to an external HDD?

Jan 25, 2013 3:54 PM

I just bought a Seagate Backup Plus external hard disk drive for the sole purpose of storing my photo files in the Backup Drive. How do I do this? If I select a certain photo and go to File>Export that takes me to the Hard Drive location, which is a desktop Mac. My external HDD is connected to the Mac, but by clicking on the Hard Drive as end destination, am I storing it on the Seagate HDD? I don't think so.

Shouldn't the Mac recognize the presence of an external hard drive and give it a letter designation? By the way, I would first like to create various folders in the external drive for different photo ctegories (e.g., landscapes, people, etc.)

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jan 25, 2013 4:04 PM   in reply to birderpp

Exporting is not the way to go because by exporting you create a duplicate.

If I understand you correctly you want to move your photos  to the external HD.

Is your external drive visible in the Folders panel in Library Module?

If yes, you can just drag-and-drop the photos or the folders to your external hard drive.

If your external drive is not visible in Lr.: Copy  - via mac Finder - one photo and move it to the external drive. Rename the photo if it is one that has already been imported in Lr (to avoid duplicate issues).

Then import this photo in Lr via the Import Dialog. Your external drive should then be visible in Lr Folders panel. Then proceed as before explaned - drag-and-drop.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 25, 2013 4:28 PM   in reply to web-weaver

What?  Web-weaver, I'm surprised at you...   you _never_ suggest someone re-import (without explaining why).

Basically, what WW is saying is that LR will sometimes ignore another hard drive if you have never had images on it.  So he is saying to copy one image out of one of your folders via finder (you can use LR and "show in finder" to find one if you have to).  Rename it so that LR will not realize it's a copy.  Then, when you import it, use "ADD" function, NOT copy or move.  This will "force" LR to recognize the hard drive, and show it to you.

Then you can simply drag and drop your entire tree from inside LR and it will be happy about it.

Or, onother way is to simply go into finder, and move your top level folder of images (NOT the catalog file!) onto your external disk.  Do this while lightroom is closed.

Then when you start LR, it will complain about missing images.  Right/control-click on the top level image, and select browse to reconnect that folder, all the rest will reconnect themselves (as long as you kept them in the same location, i.e., only moved the ENTIRE set).

Either way will work, most people prefer the inslide-LR-method, as it's "cleaner", but either way will work.

Cheers!

Jason

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 25, 2013 4:35 PM   in reply to birderpp

Hmm.. If you can't see the hard disk outside of LR, then your computer has not "seen" the disk properly.  If you bring up finder, do you see an entry on the left tool bar for it? Is it mounted?

Maybe a screen shot of your disks mounted would help?

Cheers!

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 25, 2013 4:36 PM   in reply to birderpp

Ah, you're a recent convert from Windoze to Mac'salot... Okay, no, paste does not ask where to put it.  It assumes you are in the correct folder and want to put it there.

So after you've copied it in finder, browse to the correct folder, *then* paste. :}

Cheers!

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 25, 2013 4:36 PM   in reply to Jasonized

Jason,

Never say never ...

And thank you for explaining so nicely what I phrased a bit too short, maybe.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 25, 2013 4:45 PM   in reply to web-weaver

Haha... yes, okay, I won't say never... well, okay, now and then. 

Birderpp, the reason I said "never re-import" (and got caught on it! :} ) is that too many people who are new-ish to LR try to use that to "fix" problems.  This does not usually fix things, and it _does_ remove all of the edits and changes they have done, often causing even more frustration.  So it should only be used as a _very_ last resort..

:}

Cheers!

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 27, 2013 3:44 PM   in reply to birderpp

Ah, one lousy typo... :}  You only get the "Add" function when you are importing files;  select import, and look near the top.  You should see Add/Move/Copy, etc.  Only Add leaves the image where it was, forcing LR to see the disk.  :}

But you got it, apparently.

Cheers!

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points