• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Is it possible to generate a list of paragraph and character styles from the book level?

New Here ,
Jan 26, 2013 Jan 26, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

I have several hundred unstructured FrameMaker 11 files (using the Tech Comm Suite 4) that I need to migrate to structured FrameMaker 11 (for S1000D/DITA use).

I would like to generate a list of Paragraph Styles and Character Styles found in each FrameMaker 11 file.  Is it possible to do this from

the a book level in FM 11?

Yes, I do know that I can run a conversion table on each file manually and collect all the styles, but it would be easier if I could just do it from a book level
or better yet, point to a folder full of .FM files and run some type of script.

Has anyone done this before?  I was looking around for an answer earlier, but have not found one yet.

Thanks in advance for any ideas offered.

Regards,

Jim

BTW - I am using the Adobe Technical Communication Suite 4 on a Windows 7 (64 bit laptop).

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Advisor ,
Jan 27, 2013 Jan 27, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have always had the impression – in other words, I could be totally wrong and hope some more knowledgeable contributor will gently correct me – that generating a ToC for a book hoicks all the styles into the ToC just in case it needs them later. If that's so, you could save out the ToC as a .mif file and pull out all the PgfTag and FTag lines. (which would be just the sort of housekeeping I'd hope someone had already written a script for)

HTH.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 01, 2013 Feb 01, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Niels,

I appreciate it.  I have been away from the forums for a few days.

I will look at the PfTag and FTag lines you mention.

Thanks, I appreciate the input.

Regards,

Jim

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jan 28, 2013 Jan 28, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can collect all of the paratags used in a file or book using the Special > List of > Paragraphs... and then select all of the tags. Then in the LOP, change the Reference page layout for the LOP so the default <$paratext> building block is now <$paratag>. You could also add either <$filename> or <$fullfilename> to get the specific file info.

Also, if you specify comma spearators in the LOP definition, e.g. <$filename>, <$paratag>, etc. you could then save the file as text and use it as csv file in a spreadsheet to sort and simplify.

Note: this approach will only get the tags present in the catalog. Any overrides or paragrpahs pasted from other files, will not show.

There is no simple way to list Character Tags without a script or plug-in.

You might want to check out the SiliconPrarie plug-ins Character Tools and Paragraph Tools a http://www.siliconprairiesoftware.com/Products.html These tools do allow you to list all fo the used (and unused) tags in a document. The tools support links to scripting (FrameScript and Extendscript) so you could drive these to process all of your files via automation.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 01, 2013 Feb 01, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi Arnis,

Thanks for the detailed answer.  I really appreciate it.

I will look at this further on the weekend.

Regards,

Jim

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines