Skip navigation
bigvissie13
Currently Being Moderated

Capture device offline

Jan 26, 2013 7:15 AM

Tags: #offline #premiere #capturing #cs6 #capture_device #sony_hvr_z1

Hello all,

I upgraded Premire with Creative Cloud (so now using CS6 instead of CS5) and since the upgrade capturing doesn't seem to work anymore. It says that the captureing device is offline. I use a Sony HVR-Z1 and firewire. It seems that the new version of Premiere is not liking my camera anymore.

Hope anyone knows how to solve this.

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jan 26, 2013 7:19 AM   in reply to bigvissie13

Please read this document, all possible solutions are listed.

http://kb2.adobe.com/cps/828/cpsid_82848.html

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 26, 2013 8:06 AM   in reply to bigvissie13

The document also applies to CS6.

Your camera is still compatible.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 31, 2013 6:01 AM   in reply to bigvissie13

Great news, and thank you for reporting.

Some cameras seem to need to have an exact order of things, to work properly with Capture. As there can be a few variables, when one order does not work properly, trying another order is a good thing.

While it is almost impossible to keep the preferred order straight, for every camera, it seems that some need for the program to be up and running, when they are powered on - others, need to be on, before at least the Capture module is activated.

Going back some years, Jim Simon did a list of the necessary order with each of his cameras, Pannies, IIRC, and I used to point to that, at least as a start, and then they could test variations, to see what worked for their camera.

Good luck,

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 31, 2013 8:41 AM   in reply to bigvissie13

Make sure you do not attach your camera to the pc when the camera is set to on.

You are likely to blow out the firewire on the camera. Very expensive to get fixed.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 31, 2013 1:48 PM   in reply to Ann Bens

You are likely to blow out the firewire on the camera. Very expensive to get fixed.

That is incredibly unlikely to happen.  Most camera use a 4 pin connector, which doesn't carry power.  But even with power, FireWire was designed to be hot-pluggable.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 31, 2013 2:40 PM   in reply to Jim Simon

Its a wellknown fact and I can mention a few camera owners that blew out their firewire that way.

You also need to connect the cable to the computer first and then to the camera.

Doing it the other way around may result in building up static electricity which the camera cant handle.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 31, 2013 3:02 PM   in reply to Ann Bens

I'd argue those people already had failing equipment - a camera, a cable, the port on the mobo, etc. - because this is just not "normal" or something that needs to be worried about.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 1, 2013 8:45 AM   in reply to Jim Simon

You will find these remarks even in the manual of some camera's

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers