Skip navigation
capegirl1
Currently Being Moderated

Why does my image size/resolution change after making changes in my photo?

Jan 26, 2013 9:06 AM

After spending time in PS elements 11 making changes in color and applying frames etc. I noticed after saving the file my resolution went from 5.5Mb to 847kb.  Why is this? Help!!!

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jan 26, 2013 9:45 AM   in reply to capegirl1

We'd need a complete list of what you did to know why that might happen.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 26, 2013 7:08 PM   in reply to capegirl1

No, the pixel size should not change, and the size in MB should not normally change that radically unless you did something specific to cause it (using save for web with the jpg low quality setting to save a many-layered psd file, for example).

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 27, 2013 2:21 AM   in reply to Barbara B.

If you were working with a jpg and did a lot of saves this might occur.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 27, 2013 4:30 AM   in reply to swharton07

I don't see why everyone is saying that editing a JPG and saving a JPG will not reduce the file size. It can reduce the file size. Even with a single save.

I don't think going from 5.5MB to 847kb is anything to worry about. It's entirely possible, depending on a lot of conditions.

Furthermore, capegirl1, my advice to you would be to stop worrying about file size of JPGs. If you think the file size of JPGs is a meaningful indicator of the quality of your photo, or the correctness of your actions, then you will be misled often. Just stop paying attention to it.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 27, 2013 5:30 AM   in reply to capegirl1

I'm pretty sure it did not say the file size was too small.

If a photo is too small to be printed, it is because the number of pixels (height and width) is too small to print at the desired size.

As I said, you should ignore the file size.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 27, 2013 7:55 AM   in reply to dj_paige

I would disagree with dj_paige to some extent. It is possible for certain editing steps (saving as jpg low quality, for example, or downsampling and upsampling again, rasterizing a vector and then dragging it more than 100%, etc.) to reduce the available information to a point where the print will be lousy.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 27, 2013 8:47 AM   in reply to Barbara B.

But Barbara ... if she's getting a message that says the file is too small to be printed, that mean not enough pixels. The printer and printer software can't judge the quality of the image in the JPG that might be caused by saving the image at a very low quality.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 27, 2013 2:38 PM   in reply to dj_paige

Yes, perhaps. But if she's ordering say, 4 x 6 prints and the file size is something like 98K, they can certainly see that that's not much info for a high-quality print.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 28, 2013 4:42 AM   in reply to capegirl1

Years ago I wanted to print a panaroma and it was rejected by Ezprints as not a high enough resolution to print. This does occur and kudos to the companies who do a check and reject pictures that will print poorly due to reolution.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 28, 2013 6:46 AM   in reply to swharton07

Years ago I wanted to print a panaroma and it was rejected by Ezprints as not a high enough resolution to print. This does occur and kudos to the companies who do a check and reject pictures that will print poorly due to reolution.

Of course, printers reject photos if the resolution is too low.

Resolution is not file size. Let's stop confusing these items.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 28, 2013 6:37 AM   in reply to capegirl1

is it ok to use different PSE on one photo at the same time? As I have PSE 6 on my mac and PSE 11 on my PC.  Both in different locations, so I may use my mac at one point, save the file then import to my PC on another day. 

Secondly, is it ok to rename a file for saving? Or should you keep the assigned name? I often change the name. 

I don't really see a problem in using the Editors from different versions of PSE on the same photo, provided you save as TIF or PSD. (If you save as JPG, there is a quality loss, and then you open the file again and save it again, there is additional quality loss.)

I wouldn't use the Organizers from two different versions of PSE one the same photo.

I think you should always use a different name than the original photo when you save a photo, you never want to overwrite your originals.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 28, 2013 9:56 AM   in reply to capegirl1

TO save as a JPG, you need to change the bit depth to 8 bits

Image>mode>8 bits/channel

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 28, 2013 11:51 AM   in reply to capegirl1

I don't know why your images at this point are 16bit and need to be changed to 8bit.

It has nothing to do with the version of PSE. You have done something different in your workflow.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 28, 2013 12:41 PM   in reply to capegirl1

There are only two possibilites: 8 bit, which can be saved as JPG; or 16 bit, which cannot be saved as JPG.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 29, 2013 4:10 AM   in reply to capegirl1

What file type is this file you are working on?

What do you mean "bitmap"?

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 29, 2013 5:00 AM   in reply to capegirl1

I am pretty sure its  a jpg file.

It either is a JPG, or it isn't. When you get a chance, please confirm.

If 8bits was greyed out, then it is 8bits, and you should be able to save it as an 8bit file, which includes the ability to save as a JPG.

If for some reason, you can't save it as a JPG, you probably ought to let us see some screen captures (for example, of the "Save As" dialog box) and maybe some other things that I will think of as we go on.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 29, 2013 6:04 AM   in reply to capegirl1

You insert the image to a message here by clicking on the "camera" icon in the toolbar above where you type the message here in this forum.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points