Skip navigation
ebenezer3144
Currently Being Moderated

Index formatting

Jan 26, 2013 11:39 AM

I am trying to format an index for a book document in CS5.5. The current issue (of many ) is the appearance of large blank spaces in the columns. What is happening?

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jan 26, 2013 1:07 PM   in reply to ebenezer3144

More information, please; if possible, provide a screen shot. Make sure Show Invisibles is on, as well as Show Guides. Screen shots can be inserted in your post using the camera icon in the toolbar.

"Blank space", is that horizontal space (i.e., tabs, em-spaces, or 'empty space' such as on the right hand side of ragged right text) or vertical (such as extra space between lines or paragraphs)?

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 27, 2013 3:51 AM   in reply to ebenezer3144

I don't know why it's breaking the way it does, but I see each entry is followed by a non-breaking sapce, then a tab, then 2 spaces. Why not just use some combination of fixed-width spaces, say 2 or 3 em spaces, to get consistent spacing?

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 27, 2013 7:31 AM   in reply to ebenezer3144

It seems the problem occurs with Level 2 or Level 3 entries only. Can you check if one of these have a Keep With Next Paragraph setting applied?

(Actually, if that *is* the problem, I would expect your Index Level 1 to have a "Keep All Lines Together" as well. Perhaps that is set in your "No Paragraph Style"?)

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 27, 2013 8:38 AM   in reply to [Jongware]

I don't really think it's a keep option. The last entry on column 1 is split across columns on page 2, and it looks like there's enough room for any imaginable keep.

@ Ebeneezer, IS ID patched to 7.5.3?

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points