Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

How to Avoid Duplicate photo Uploads with Elements 11 on Mac?

Jan 26, 2013 2:25 PM

I've searched Help for this and it tells me to select a "Do not show duplicates" box in Preferences that doesn't seem to exist with my Mac version.  How do I force Elements 11 to ignore photos I've already uploaded?  Thanks

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jan 27, 2013 2:29 AM   in reply to RocklinDavid

Unless Macs are radically different PSE will not load duplicates when you import unless they have a different file name.

I am a PC person.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 28, 2013 5:09 AM   in reply to RocklinDavid

I am running PSE 11 on a PC and don't have the "don't import duplicates" in preferences.

The only other thing I can suggest(at least at this point) is to verify, via the information panel(right of the tags), that the duplicates due truely reside in the same location from organizers perspective. Another way to do this would be to copy several pictures to a unique folder, import and then import again(this would be the best, no eyeball errors then). If Organizer truely imports the same picture twice and at the same location I would first do a repair/optimize of the catalog(whether it needs it or not) and try again. If this doesn't resolve it you will need to call Adobe for help.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 28, 2013 5:51 AM   in reply to swharton07

In my PC, Win7 (but it was the same with PSE6 and PSE10 on XP):

Sorry, my PSE11 is in French.

dupl-1.jpgdupl-2.jpg

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 28, 2013 6:56 AM   in reply to MichelBParis

The preference is not there in the mac version. However it is in the downloader itself, in the advanced window, via this button, which lets you see duplicates, supposedly:

Screen Shot 2013-01-26 at 6.35.19 PM.png

It's not active there since I had no duplicates. However, in my experience it's not very reliable when it is active, frankly.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 28, 2013 1:38 PM   in reply to RocklinDavid

One last try if you don't mind.

Copy the pictures to a folder, not from the card or camera. Then import the pictures twice. This will take a different path in the software and may resolve the problem.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 29, 2013 12:08 AM   in reply to RocklinDavid

I am not sure it's only a 'Mac thing'.

With PSE11 in Windows 7, I have done the following steps. I have created a new catalog and imported the files from a card. I have edited half of those pictures from the organizer, adding bogus keywords and writing them to files so that the file size in Mb is slightly changed on my computer. I have reimported all the files using the checkbox mentionned above, the result is as follow:

- The downloader shows the thumbnails of the files to be copied to the computer. If PSE thinks it's a duplicate, it shows a small icon on the thumbnails. If I still keep them selected for import, it will import them and rename them if they are to be imported in the same folder. I have chosen the option to create subfolders by date automatically. That means renaming is necessary since I can't have duplicate file names in the same folder. In my case, all the files, including those having slightly different file sizes in Mb were considered as duplicates.

- Now I get a message that the files have been copied to the computer, but that they have not been imported in the catalog since they are already there.

So, I can't easily avoid re-downloading files twice in the computer easily, but the files are not imported twice in the catalog.

I have read somewhere that the criteria for PSE to think files are duplicates are :

- date taken (very selective for digital cameras, precise to 1/100th of a second)

- file size in pixels (more relevant for scans) ; the file size in Mb in my experiment was not a valid criteria.

- and ???

I am not sure about file names, but I am quite confident that the path of the file is not taken into account.

I'll have to run other experiments to find if the process has been changed from my older PSE versions (6 and 10).

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 29, 2013 2:29 AM   in reply to MichelBParis

I also ran a test. I normally import from a folder. I created a catalog. Imported pictures from a folder, modified several, saved them and then reimported the same file. None of  the pictures reimported and no duplicates were created. I received the message that these pictures were already in the catalog.

I don't have a card available currently so I can't test that.

I am now puzzled by your having the duplication problem when doing your imports for a folder since I can't replicate the problem.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 29, 2013 4:55 AM   in reply to swharton07

I'll have a look at the help before doing further tests:

http://helpx.adobe.com/content/help/en/elements-organizer/using/camera s-card-readers.html

About what is specific for Windows in the preference menu:

(Windows only) To specify default values for automatic downloads, set any of the following:

http://helpx.adobe.com/content/help/en/elements-organizer/using/

Begin Download

Specifies when a download begins after a device is connected.

Create Subfolder(s) Using

Specifies if and how to separate and name folders containing media files shot on different dates.

Delete Options

Specifies if and how to delete the original media files from your camera after copying them to your hard disk.

Copy New Files Only (Ignore Already Imported Files)

Causes the downloader to ignore files that are already on your hard disk.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points