Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Scratch removal: Does Ps CS6 have a tool for that?  Or are there plugins?

Jan 26, 2013 3:05 PM

Scanning old slides often shows large scratches and specks.  How can they be removed?

I use Photoshop CS6, does it contain tools for that?

Or are there plugins?

What I'm looking for is a Scratch Removal tool like I find in Silverfast 8SE (have one bundled with my Canoscan 9000F scanner) called SDR (I don't mean the iSDR which used the sanner's ínfrared).

It automaticllay searches out scratches, marks them in red, lets you adjust how strongly it hunts for them, sizes etc.

Then when you like it, click to remove them.

Very useful!

Two problems: it only works in conjunction with scanning, can't open an existing file.

And it only handles 8bit color depth.

I suppose full versions of Silverfast won't have these limitations, but that would mean quite an expense.

Since I have invested in Ps CS6 I'd want to keep to that.

Maybe I'm overlooking what's already in Ps?  Or in available plugins?

Please help,

Sverker

Replies
  • Noel Carboni
    23,456 posts
    Dec 23, 2006
    Currently Being Moderated
    Jan 26, 2013 4:16 PM   in reply to Sverk

If you have huge numbers of them, Filter - Noise - Dust & Scratches right in Photoshop.  If they're always lighter than the surroundings (e.g., a negative scan that's been inverted), you can limit the effect with Edit - Fade - Darken afterward.

Or if you're willing to do some hand work, and ensure inadvertent things won't be changed, you can select  the Spot Healing Brush Tool, set it to Content Aware mode and just dab the spots.  Photoshop is pretty good at making up fill data.

-Noel

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points