Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

How can I add clips to the timeline by their timecode? I want to preserve the blank space created wh

Jan 27, 2013 9:18 AM

Tags: #adobe #camera #premiere #edit #editing #cs6 #clip #multicam #nesting #timecode #nest #final_cut_pro #stringout

I want to add clips to the sequence or timeline by the clip's timecode. I have two cameras with synced timecode and we shot on and off all day. I would like to lay one camera's footage on track one according to the timecode and the second camera on track two according to its timecode. I am essentially trying to create a multicam sequence with breaks because I was shooting all day and could not keep the cameras recording the entire time. Is there a way to do this? I have not found anything. I tried creating a multicam sequence but this feature tries to create a camera angle for every clip I have. I need to restrict it to just two angles.

Let me know if you have any thoughts on the matter.

Thanks,

Drewsers

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jan 27, 2013 10:00 AM   in reply to Drewsers Media

you can just overwrite them one by one at the right TC.

(click on the timecode display of your sequence, enter the starting timecode of your clip in source monitor, hit [enter], hit [.] )

-this will overwrite the clip from source monitor to the activated tracks.

I don't know of a feature that automates clips into a sequence according to their timecode, if it doesn't exist, this would be a good feature request.

For Multicam, you first put all CameraA clips on one Video Track and all CameraB clips on another video track, just like you explained.

then you nest the sequence into another, right click on the "clip" that represents your nested sequence, hit Multicam - activate.

then go to Windows - Multi camera monitor.

then you have an angle for each track in the nested sequence.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 27, 2013 1:19 PM   in reply to Drewsers Media

What type of time code was each of  the cameras running?

Were they gen locked?

Were they running at the same time or varied start stops?

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 27, 2013 9:17 PM   in reply to Drewsers Media

I think I would start by setting a sequence to the same TC as your Source Clips.

It should then be easy to drop source clips into "real time" ( time of day) in the sequences.

Note. thats a manual process ( but easy)

Doing this for both cameras set you up perfectly for 2 angle Multicam.

They were running at varied start and stops all day but they overlapped a lot.

Hopefully they overlapped all the time....but you did say you wanted to preserve the "blank space".

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 28, 2013 2:57 AM   in reply to Drewsers Media

Premiere sure has a few helpful options to automate clips to a sequence using the "Automate to sequence Button" http://help.adobe.com/en_US/premierepro/cs/using/images/P_AutomateTimeline_Wi_N.pngin the project panel.

You could also throw them all in in the right order, then always select the right pairs an right click-sync, then by timecode. this could speed up your process.

Also, automate to timeline using timecode would make a nice feature request, that could often be helpful for many:

http://www.adobe.com/go/wish

Message was edited by: Felix Lewis checking the forums on a short break = brevity and typos... srz.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 28, 2013 1:03 PM   in reply to Drewsers Media

You really did not need to add blank or black video to space the source clips as you wished.

You may have needed one long blank video ( eg Black or Transparent) to set up a sequence of the require duration though.

Do that on a separate track so you can delete i in one action and dont need to eliminate it between the clips

Might have saved some effort and time.

Hopefully you discovered the methods to manually enter a TC in the BOX and the play head jumped to that position in the timeline.

Ganging Source and Program Monitors may also have been an aid.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points