Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Green Screen Issue

Jan 27, 2013 10:58 AM

I just purchased Adobe Premiere Pro CS6 and I have shot some footage using a green screen. I finally was able to import my green footage and a background that I want to use, but I am not able to make the person solid. He looks ghostly. I've been trying to follow the instructions in:http://adobe.ly/Aa9uYo

but with no luck. I am not able to find these eye droppers that are discussed in this video or this Ultra Key that's was discussed in CS5. Help!

Replies 1 2 Previous Next
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jan 27, 2013 11:18 AM   in reply to hurricaneheatherinVictori

It sounds like you have too much green light on the actor. Probably bounce light?

Red Giant Primatte doesnt do this, but it is actually an awesome feature of keylight when wanted. Post a screen grab?

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 27, 2013 11:47 AM   in reply to hurricaneheatherinVictori

Ultra Key is certainly still in Premiere Pro CS6, and it works the same way. Make sure in your Effects panel that the "32" and "YUV" buttons aren't depressed, as they will filter out the UK effect from the tree.

Here are some more tutorials on keying in CS6 that describe the UK tool in more detail:

http://www.adobepress.com/articles/article.asp?p=1865783

http://www.infiniteskills.com/blog/2012/08/adobe-premiere-pro-cs6-tuto rial-using-the-ultra-key-effect/

http://library.creativecow.net/articles/devis_andrew/Premiere-Pro-CS6- Basics_98/video-tutorial uses mattes to handle a more difficult key, which may be useful in your case if the background isn't lit properly.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 27, 2013 12:16 PM   in reply to hurricaneheatherinVictori

What are you using to key then? Your problem most certainly is fixable. I just cant instruct you since I dont know what you are using.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 27, 2013 1:40 PM   in reply to hurricaneheatherinVictori

hurricaneheatherinVictori wrote:

I have no Ulta Key option in Adobe Premiere Pro CS6

Did you look in the Effects panel:

effects panel ultra.png

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 27, 2013 3:52 PM   in reply to hurricaneheatherinVictori

Heather,

Yes, please provide a screen-cap of James against the green screen. As mentioned above, it sounds like that shot might have too much green light bouncing onto James, causing only partial Keyfing.

Good luck,

Hunt

PS - if you need tips on posting screen-caps to the forum, see this article: http://forums.adobe.com/message/2643538#2643538

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 27, 2013 3:53 PM   in reply to hurricaneheatherinVictori

Time to read the manual and find a video tutorial  for using Ultra Key.

Google and Youtube are your friend.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CFTc5iqlYds

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 27, 2013 7:27 PM   in reply to shooternz

Craig, that is a good tutorial but I think it might be aimed a little high. It takes a while to get to the part that the original poster needed to hear. I put a tutorial on my tutorial site that might help.

http://www.stevengotz.com/my-tutorials.html

I used an uneven green screen clip to better help the example. The stage I put the ballerina on is not exactly the one I would have chosen had I an actual choice, but http://www.VideoBlocks.com came to the rescue with the dancer and the stage, so I used what they had.

I have yet to figure out how to link directly to the part of the page I want to show people, so here is the YouTube link.

From what I can see of the original posters YouTube example, the pedestal is probably the main problem.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 28, 2013 8:20 AM   in reply to hurricaneheatherinVictori

Heather,

First of all , you dowenloaded a SD clip instead of an HD clip. So either stretch it or get a new one. Second you cut off part of his head in the video. That isn't critical but could be next time.

Here is what happens when you follow the instructions in my video tutorial. Sorry, but I could not find the same background. No lagoon in mine. Also, I didn't work on getting the lighting to match. That will be up to you.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 28, 2013 9:07 PM   in reply to Steven L. Gotz

Good job Steven. I suggest

hurricaneheatherinVictori Makes a screen shot of the green screen settings for you to peruse. Or you can just post yout settings instead.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 28, 2013 9:37 PM   in reply to peachydragon

OK.

The sample color came from just above his right shoulder.

Mine look like this:

Capture.JPG

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 28, 2013 9:52 PM   in reply to Steven L. Gotz

Steven.... you are relentlessly helpful. Bravo sir.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 29, 2013 8:25 AM   in reply to hurricaneheatherinVictori

Hi

hurricaneheatherinVictori Please screen grab your settings and upload that so we can see that.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 29, 2013 8:28 AM   in reply to hurricaneheatherinVictori

Heather,

You are correct that PrPro does not have the direct upload (YouTube, Vimeo, etc.) function, that PrE does. However, even with that direct connection, there are often issues, such as "extended" subscriptions, where the user has a longer Duration available to them, but PrE was written at a time, when YouTube did not have such extended subscriptions. Other, similar issues exist, as well. The manual, Export, then Import into YouTube is often the recommended workflow, if a Project is not "box-stock," and compliant with the YouTube rules, at the time the program was written. The method that you used in PrPro offers you more control, with but a few extra steps.

Now, good luck with the green screen. Sounds like you are close, and it's likely an adjustment between the tutorials and your operation, that is standing in your way.

Upon viewing the tutorials linked her, I think that Stevens is the better, and is the one that I would concentrate on using to fix things.

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 29, 2013 8:38 AM   in reply to hurricaneheatherinVictori

Drag the Ultra key on to James.  You click on the eyedropper next to the little box for Key Color. Then select the color of green just above his right shoulder. At that point, you should see a lot of the other video behind him. Now is the time to clean it up so you switch to the Alpha channel view. Before you select the green, there is no alpha channel.

Please keep in mind that you want the opacity of the clip with James at a full 100%. You do not want it to be partially see though. Only the green should be transparent and to do that you select the green to key it out.

Watch the tutorial again. Stop it as I go through it, do the exact same thing and tell me where exactly the results are not the same.

Try doing this with just James and no background video. Put him on track two but leave track one empty for this test. Is there black behind him with James looking correct. By that I mean he isn't darker because you see black behind him? If he is darker than he is supposed to be, check to make sure his opacity is 100%. Once he looks correct, then put the video behind him by putting it on track one.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 29, 2013 4:40 PM   in reply to hurricaneheatherinVictori

Looks like you are almost there!

I saw a little remnant of the mask in his beard, on the right side of his face, and then in his shirt, when he stood up, but you should be able to knock that out.

Good luck,

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 29, 2013 4:47 PM   in reply to hurricaneheatherinVictori

Heather...you need to tweak this key  a bit more.

I saw the original source file and there is no reason why you can not get an almost perfect key from it.

Steven came close but your result is not nearly as good. 

Are your settings similar or close to what Steven showed you in his screen grab?

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 29, 2013 5:09 PM   in reply to hurricaneheatherinVictori

Heather,

You HAVE come a long way with the Keying - no doubt.

With the suggestions that Steven has given you, you can get even closer - right at perfection. Stay with it, as you are almost THERE.

Good luck, and hope you can get Marcel "off the couch." Maybe a thumbtack... ?

Hope to see some great work in the future.

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 29, 2013 5:09 PM   in reply to hurricaneheatherinVictori

Advice  with respect.

You will get the best advice available to help you master things ...when you answer the questions people ask you.

Supplying screen grabs is a good way to get help quickly as well.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 29, 2013 5:28 PM   in reply to hurricaneheatherinVictori

How does a green screen get Marcel off the couch?

BTW - theTitler in Premiere Pro has the abilty to  set text and line spacings exactly how you want.

Kerning, Leading etc.....

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 29, 2013 5:34 PM   in reply to hurricaneheatherinVictori

Ha. ha...the smoke will be a challenge to key.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 30, 2013 7:22 PM   in reply to hurricaneheatherinVictori

Despite this from your list  being for CS4...

http://adobe.ly/yZCUyd

...its pretty much how you do it in CS6 as well....and its  as  easy to follow as it gets.

.I am even trying do it from Encore, but that too is not working

What is "not working" for you?  What is happening or not happening?

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 30, 2013 7:25 PM   in reply to hurricaneheatherinVictori

OK, first, as of PrPro CS 3, there is NO capabilities to author a DVD-Video from PrPro.

However, the good news is that Adobe Encore, a wonderful, full-feature authoring app. is included with PrPro.

One can get PrPro Projects into Encore several ways. If all works correctly, using Adobe Dynamic Link (ADL) will allow one to Import a PrPro Project directly into Encore.

If that does not work correctly, there are other ways.

Also, Adobe Encore has a very active forum: http://forums.adobe.com/community/encore/encore_general with a lot of friendly and helpful people, should you get stuck.

Good luck,

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
1 2 Previous Next
Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers