Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

T-Shirt Designing(1): How do I make the white box wider (using t-shirt template)?

Jan 27, 2013 2:22 PM

Tags: #illustrator #design #adobe #to #using #designing #t-shirt

Using CS6

T-Shirt Designing(1): How do I make the white box wider inside the t-shirt (using t-shirt template)?

Okay, I learned that I can go to File>New From Template>Blank Template>T-shirt to start creating a design for my t-shirt.

It shows a small picture of the t-shirt with a rectangle in the middle which also represents the large rectangle (where I'm creating my design).

Question, am I suppose to create the entire design right within the large rectangle?

2nd... I figured out how to adjust the length/width of the larger rectangle (by going over the corners, then clicking on it to open up the length/width section at the top of the screen). However, when I adjust the height/width, it does not do the same for the rectangle inside of the t-shirt.

What I'm trying to do is make sure my design is taking up more of the front of the t-shirt by expanding the width.

How do I make the small rectangle in the t-shirt wider too?

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jan 27, 2013 2:54 PM   in reply to Wdautrion

Hi there,

The small rectangle within the t-shirt line drawing is a guide. So, what you'll need to do is unlock the guides, delete the small rectangle, and create a new one.

1) Go to View > Guides > Unlock Guides.  You will now be able to modify the guides, which are light-blue in my document.

Screen shot 2013-01-27 at 2.46.17 PM.png

2) Just so you can see what I'm talking about specifically, open the Layers Panel and go to the Guides layer. Click the arrow next to it to reveal the guides within the layer. I've locked all the other layers in the document to make it easy for myself.

Screen shot 2013-01-27 at 2.46.36 PM.png

3) Select the small rectangle and delete it.

Screen shot 2013-01-27 at 2.46.43 PM.png

4) Use the Rectangle Tool to draw a new one in the desired dimensions.

Screen shot 2013-01-27 at 2.47.22 PM.png

5) Option click on the new rectangle to open a flyout. Select Make Guides.

Screen shot 2013-01-27 at 2.47.33 PM.png

You now have a new, bigger rectangle guide! Let me know if you have any more questions.

Screen shot 2013-01-27 at 2.47.41 PM.png

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 27, 2013 5:22 PM   in reply to Wdautrion

Whether you create your design within the rectangle depends on the final purpose of the graphic. For example, if you were going to have the graphic printed onto a real shirt, the printer would probably give you maximum dimensions for the artwork. You would then make your rectangle that size and work within it. (I am just talking in terms of dimension here, the screen printing file setup is often more complicated than this depending on your printer.)

Your design will not automatically accomodate the rectangular guide, but objects you make will be able to "snap" to it. The t-shirt template is there to help you mock up a design and see it in context and set up a consistent workflow, and not much more than that.

Please don't hesitate to let me know if I can offer any additional help!

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 27, 2013 5:48 PM   in reply to Wdautrion

Just a word of caution.  The printer is not going to want to see any t-shirt template.  No guides either.  Just the artwork sized correctly.  The template is a good medium to use in showing your design for approval only or to place in your portfolio.  Otherwise, it is useless to the printer who is expecting you to have already determined the file parameters and size.  This usually means getting in touch with the printer to make sure you're on the right track for output.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 27, 2013 5:54 PM   in reply to Wdautrion

Assuming a .jpg is your printer's ideal format, I would create a new document that is the dimensions of the rectangle you were working in within the tshirt template, then copy and paste the artwork into the new document. Then export a jpg.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 27, 2013 6:08 PM   in reply to Wdautrion

Sounds like thermal transfer.  What resolution are they asking for?  And, is it RGB?  I ask because it sounds like an interactive UI; but I wonder how the preview is going to hold-up?  I guess I'm thinking too much.  Do they just want to see the artwork and then have you send a larger file FTP later?

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points