Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

does a Clipping Mask effect just one layer?

Jan 27, 2013 8:09 PM

Tags: #illustrator #mask #help #path #select #draw #cs6 #tools #pen_tool #clipping_mask #draw_behind #add_art_to_mask #select_path_in_mask #path_under_mask #release_mask

Hello everyone ...                                                                                       Level: Newbie   OS: Win7 64bit   Ia: Cs6

Once I use a Clipping Mask on a layer is the entire document covered in a mask?

And/or is all the artwork from then on inside the mask?

I've read about how to add and how to remove art from a mask. I've read about how to make and release and lots of other things.

So, then I went and found a lesson that contained the use of a Clipping Mask.

But I'm stuck... again.

I am suppose to Select the main shape and "just" copy it and move it down (doesn't say rather to Paste in front or back but I assumed in back ~ not that it has mattered thus far)

However, while making the main shape I used Gradient Mesh and used an Offset to create a "replica" and so when I go to Select the main shape the mesh is selected and so when I Paste (in back ~ seems most logical) and then move it down the details such as the colors of the Gradient and other such things are visible in front ~ ??

So, I have been trying to abate my problem in lots of different ways.

I have tried using the Pen tool to draw behind the main shape, I've tried making a New Layer and placing it above and below and inbetween the main shape layer, I've tried adding the artwork to the Mask ... I've tried everything I can think of and I've been through many an article in the manual and FAQ's to no avail.

I suppose, what I think I need to know ... is, how ... how on earth do I draw behind this main shape? Am I not able to do it becuase I am not getting behind the Mask?

(Let me apologise to those that HATE it when Newbies follow lessons/tuts and who HATE it when we come here to ask for help. I'm doing my best to learn and to find answers on my own before heading here for help)

Please lmk if you would be better able to help me with pictures of my layers and the art. Thanx so much for your time!!

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jan 27, 2013 8:17 PM   in reply to Kar209

A clipping mask will only affect objects you have selected when creating the mask. Screencaps of your art and workspace would be really helpful moving forward. I'm looking forward to helping you!

In case it helps immediately, here's a video I made about clipping masks:

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 27, 2013 9:29 PM   in reply to Kar209

Hi there, thanks for all the screenshots! I don't think the link to the tutorial made it into your earlier post. Seeing that would be really helpful.

From what I understand, the "main shape" you are referencing is the gold shape that is behind the rest of the rocket in the author's image. This main shape is missing from your screencap. Is that correct? And you are having trouble making that object and getting it behind everything?

I'm also confused as to where the clipping mask is being used.

Link me to that tutorial and I'll see what I can do!

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 27, 2013 10:32 PM   in reply to Kar209

Thanks as well for your patience with me! It can be difficult to communicate this way, but all we can do is try our best.

As for the issue regarding the author's "main shape"...

Here I have an object with a gradient mesh:

Screen Shot 2013-01-27 at 10.17.51 PM.jpg

If you follow the directions in step 3 of the tutorial, the author creates a duplicate by going to Object > Path > Offset Path.

Screen Shot 2013-01-27 at 10.23.28 PM.jpg

And then inputs "0" for the offset value.

Screen Shot 2013-01-27 at 10.23.35 PM.jpg

I shifted my original gradient-meshed object down a little bit, and there you can see is the simple shape that you were seeing in the author's image. Then they just filled it with that gold gradient and scaled it down.

Screen Shot 2013-01-27 at 10.23.44 PM.jpg

And as for clipping masks...

As I mentioned before, a clipping mask will only affect the objects and groups you had selected when you created it. For exhaustive information about clipping masks, see this link: http://helpx.adobe.com/illustrator/using/clipping-masks.html

I hope this was helpful! Good luck!

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 28, 2013 3:33 AM   in reply to Kar209

I don't see the need for a clipping mask at all. The same purpose could also be accomplished by using pathfinder "intersect".

The clipping mask instead serves no purpose at all, but only irritates your selection, because although you may have selected only the red shape, it will still highlight the rocket shape on the artboard. You will always have to look through the layers panel in order to carefully check what actually is selected.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points