Skip navigation
Ed VanWieren
Currently Being Moderated

How do I delete a keyword from a file... permanently?

Jan 27, 2013 8:54 PM

Tags: #keywords #delete #deleting_keywords

How do I delete a keyword from a file... permanently? That is, the tags are updated in the file when I write as well. Effectively, when the keywords have been removed, and the file is re-imported, only those keywords I want remain.

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jan 27, 2013 8:59 PM   in reply to Ed VanWieren

Try this:

1) Right-Click on the photo that contains the key word;

2) Select Remove Keyword Tag;

3) Click on the keyword that you want to remove;

Good luck and post back if this is not what you want.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 27, 2013 9:19 PM   in reply to Ed VanWieren

If you want to remove the Tags completely then just use the Minus sign in the Tag Panel.  See this picture (RED SQUARE BOX):

2013-01-28_0517.png

Hope this helps.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 27, 2013 9:47 PM   in reply to Ed VanWieren

Select the file, from the right panel, click "Information" tab.

Now expand Metadata header. There you will see "Edi IPTC". Click it. This will launch IPTC metadata dialog. YOu can select and delete the tags. Click Save,

The metadata will be removed from the file as well.

Thanks

Andaleeb

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 27, 2013 10:05 PM   in reply to Ed VanWieren

Yeah I understand.. but unfortunately that's the only way, going one by one per file, as of now.

Thanks

Andaleeb

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 27, 2013 11:25 PM   in reply to Ed VanWieren

Ed VanWieren wrote:

I am sad to hear that. For an image organization tool, one would expect tools for manipulating many images at once!

Are you aware of any tools that accomplish what I ask for?

Thanks again.

Yes, there are specialized  tools to manipulate exif data. Have a look at exiftool and its GUI (interface module) = exiftoogui.

http://u88.n24.queensu.ca/exiftool/forum/index.php?topic=2750.0

You did not state which PSE version you have.

If you have PSE6, 7 or 8, you could try psedbtool from John R Ellis. This utility can 'write metadta to files' without keeping the old keywords.

http://www.johnrellis.com/psedbtool/index.htm

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 28, 2013 4:38 AM   in reply to MichelBParis

I believe it is exiftoolgui for the name. Once upon a time, maybe in W7 I stumbled across a way to update the exif data via explorer(my computer). Exiftool is free and works well.

I need to do this if I ever want to switch to LR, I have lots of tags written into my files that are old(I have had PSE for over a decade) and when I went to play with LR discovered all these ancient tags. I wish Adobe would do something about this. In my mind, only the tags from the current catalog shold be in the Exif data, not all the old tags.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 28, 2013 4:51 AM   in reply to swharton07

swharton07 wrote:

I believe it is exiftoolgui for the name.

You are right.

I wish Adobe would do something about this. In my mind, only the tags from the current catalog shold be in the Exif data, not all the old tags.

This has already been discussed on this forum. Some users would like the 'write metadata to files' to automatically get rid of tags no longer in the catalog. There are pros and cons. For instance there are cases when you do not want useful temporary tags to be written in the files themselves. I think we could agree to have an option when you choose to write metadata.

|
    Mark as:
  • 99jon
    12,821 posts
    Jan 6, 2010
    Currently Being Moderated
    Jan 28, 2013 7:15 AM   in reply to Ed VanWieren

Hi Ed

You can do what you want in the PSE11 Organizer metadata panel. Simply select a thumbnail and click on the three little dots next to IPTC. You can add or clear metadata and resave. If you select multiple thumbnails you should see a button to Add IPTC data and you get the options to overwrite existing metadata or append new metadata.

metadata-dots.png

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points