Skip navigation
jimirak
Currently Being Moderated

No sound input to PPro CS5 with a Mac using USB Mike

Jan 27, 2013 11:14 PM

Bill Hunt answered my recent question concerning PPro CS5 not picking up narration through an external USB mike. He suggested using a mike with a jack plugged into the mike port of the Mac. I tried that already and it did not work because there is no external mike input to a Mac, for a mike with a regular jack, so I bought a USB mike at the suggestion of Apple tech support .

The USB mike does input sound into the Mac but PPro CS5 does not pick it up. In fact, PPro does not even pick up the sound while using the internal mike built into the Mac. We can test that sound is getting into the Mac but PPro is not picking it up.

Do you have any suggestions, it seems like this is purely a PPro issue. But somebody has to be getting sound into PPro while using a Mac, so there must be a solution. I'd hate to have to purchase Final Cut after purchasing PPro.

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jan 27, 2013 11:55 PM   in reply to jimirak

Not 100% sure, but I think you might have to set the input up in the settings in PPRO.

/Ulf

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 28, 2013 9:21 AM   in reply to jimirak

You may have to do this on another computer, one that has a proper mic input.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 28, 2013 12:00 PM   in reply to jimirak

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 18, 2013 8:31 AM   in reply to jimirak

It's a common problem.  The solution is often to use a proper mic and the mic input of the computer, rather than USB.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 20, 2013 8:41 AM   in reply to jimirak

I do not know what a "proper mic "

A proper mic is one use for any professional audio work.  It will almost certainly have an XLR output, which is easily converted to any other form of commonly used audio connection.  For computers, the standard is the 1/8" mini plug.

there is no port for a microphone to input sound.

Well...I can only say that's a poorly designed computer.  You may need to find a normal machine that has the nearly ubiquitous mic input.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points