Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Why is Acrobat XI Crashing when I try to Save As?

Jan 28, 2013 5:31 AM

Tags: #crash_on_save #crash_on_saving #crash_on_save_as

Everytime I try to Save As in Acrobat XI Pro, the prgram stops responding and I lose all my work. This never happened in Acrobat 9. I am running Windows 8.

Please advise I am getting very frustrated and losing a lot of time with this.

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jan 28, 2013 6:13 AM   in reply to SteveMST1

Have you checked your version level of Acrobat 9.  I believe it's something like 9.5.3 some versions don't recognize or work right Windows 8.

9 is getting a little long in the tooth any. You should get Version XI.  You'll have a learning curve to go through as 9 was the last version that put all or could put all Controls on Tool Bar. XI you have to click on tools and a sidebar opens up.  Only common every day thins such as Print  are on the Toobar.  I prefer the method in 8 and 9, but Things Change. 

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 28, 2013 2:24 PM   in reply to SteveMST1

Sorry didn't read the question correctly.

Have you tried reinstalling Acrobat XI possibly something wrong with one of the registry keys. Also If PC version has Preference files remove those and reopen. So far there has only been one update to .0.1 so would no cause much problem remove reinstall and re update.  Since you have license number redownload maybe the copy you have is slightly corrupt. or glitch happened at the moment you attempetd to install.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 29, 2013 11:36 AM   in reply to SteveMST1

I have the same issue.  There are some folders that I have no trouble saving a file to.  On the other hand, if I am working on a file in the MyDocuments folder, Acrobat 11 stops responding.  The screen freezes.  I end up having to use Task Manager to end the task. I installed an "Upgrade" version of Acrobat 11 Professional on a brand new Win864 Pro i7 with 32Gig RAM.  SSD boot drive.  MyDocuments folder has been redirected to a 4tb mechanical drive.  Tech support phone call did not provide answer.  I've spent hours on this.  I'd love to know what is causing Acrobat 11 Pro to crash

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 3, 2013 2:26 PM   in reply to SteveMST1

Upgraded to Office 2013 and problem solved.  I can now access "Save As" and Acrobat 11 Pro works AOK. 

I was told that Acrobat will sometimes hang if there are too many temp files.  In my case, for reasons I do not understand, upgrading to Office 2013 from 2010 solved the issue.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 21, 2013 7:21 PM   in reply to SteveMST1

We have company.  See post by TIG1995 on February 19.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 22, 2013 12:58 PM   in reply to SSWAcrobat

To all Adobe and Reader have come out with a .02 update Try updating first to .01 anthe right straight try .02. If you stll have issue roll back to XI and forgo the updates. The go to help menu Feed back put in bug report. the more warm bodies report this bug the more likelyhoo you will get some action. If no result go on facebook and look for the Facebook Page that the disgruntled User created and post. Usually Adobe will take notice because its out in the world for the world to seee , where its shelterd.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 17, 2013 9:50 AM   in reply to SteveMST1

I have the same  problem.  Do I understand correctly that the "solution" is to reinstall Acrobat XI pro?  Or is it to roll back to an older version?  I'm currently using the Creative Cloud downloaded software and the update manager says the application is current.

Any other updates since the last post?

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 17, 2013 11:38 AM   in reply to Ted_M_H

Based on SteveMST1's experience looks like you need to  reinstall and leave off the last update. Sounds like the last update for PC is bad.

|
    Mark as:
    May 5, 2013 12:40 PM   in reply to SteveMST1

Lots of crashes for me too.  This Abode Acrobat Pro 11 is probably the worst program I've used from Adobe.  Super unstable.

I've had 10 crashes today in a few hours of work.

I would recommend people avoid this program.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 5, 2013 10:04 PM   in reply to SteveMST1

Are you sure this is an Adobe Acrobat XI problem and not a Windows 8 problem? I have also just recently started experiencing Save As problems with Adobe Acrobat XI (I am using Windows 8, everything was working fine up until now, I only upgraded to Windows 8 about a month ago). But I am experiencing exactly the same problem with the PDF995 and PDFCreator products as well (however saving to PDF from an Office 365 product works fine). I find that after restarting my PC I can often print to PDF successfully (using Acrobat XI, PDF995 or PDF Creator) once, twice, maybe 3 times. But then the next time I get the same old "Save As is not responding" message and have to cancel the task in Task Manager.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 14, 2013 3:18 PM   in reply to SteveMST1

I also suffer this major bug. 

Windows 8. Reader XI.  All up to date with latest updates.  Occurs 100% consistently on both of 2 PC's, a laptop and desktop.  I don't understand how they can not realize this is a bad bug.

If I uninstall and then reinstall, Reader will be able to save-as once, sometimes twice, before screwing up.  Once it goes bad, every time there after it will lock up Internet Explorer completely.  That crash requires I go to Task Manager to shut it all down.

Very very frustrating to try to waste hours trying to save a lot of important documents from E*Trade Bank.

My workaround was to uninstall Adobe Reader XI completely and rely on Reader 9 for that purpose.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 18, 2013 10:15 PM   in reply to SteveMST1

In my case this is definitely a Windows 8 (or Microsoft anyway) issue. My problem started at the end of May - a couple of days ago after an automatic Windows update (and I had previously manually done an update to make sure I had the latest updates) the problem has completely gone - I can use the Save As feature in both Adobe Acrobat and PDF995.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 20, 2013 10:16 AM   in reply to SteveMST1

I have similar problem to CraiginNJ.  Acrobat freezes in the process of saving documents, sometimes as soon as the Save button is selected in the Save screen, sometimes in the Confirmation window after the "save" button is selected.  I can then close the program using the "X" button in the top right of the window and the program collapses/closes without the document being saved.  It generally happens when I try to sanitize a document and remove meta-data and then close the document.  It does not matter whether I try to use the remove meta-data through the Tools menu adn then try to Save in the File Menu, or on exiting the documen/file by closing the program - same result.  It usually will save once or twice before freezing. I have tried to reopen the program and start fresh, with limited success.  After multiple crashes, I have gone to task manager, only to find that multiple instances of "Acrobat XI are running, and using between 80-90% of CPU.

I can open Acrobat, and use the repair feeature, usually takes 6-10 minutes, and then the program will save the file, and work once or twice, before freezing again, and requiring that the repair be run again.  Biggest problem seems to be failure of program to exit properly, leaving remnants running, and using up substantial system resources.

I have tried uninstalling and reinstalling, clearing registry, deleting all files/references to Acrobat, regedit to delete all keys, all to no avail, it seems to continue to freeze.  The amount of time taken up by this problem each day is completely unacceptable.  Customer support on Chat has been less than helpful, insisting on working through a cheat sheet to do all of the same things thast I have already done, and wasting my time, rather than upgrading my service request to someone that has a brain.  Please advise any progress in resolving this issue.  It is apparent from this forum that MANY people are experiencing this problem, but have not seen all of the ramifications of the freeze.

soulreiver666

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 28, 2013 9:18 PM   in reply to Soulreiver666

ditto. crashes every other save.

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 4, 2013 1:08 PM   in reply to Soulreiver666

I'm having the same problem when saving in Acrobat XI in Windows 8. Did you find any solution?

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 4, 2013 9:27 PM   in reply to TMG Consulting

No I haven’t found a solution yet. I have reverted to Acrobat X which seemed to work for a while but then the same problem started happening again. I am unable to use Save As with Acrobat (X or XI) or the PDF995 product. (I have tried other PDF writing products but again experienced the same problem). I can however save documents to pdf via other software (e.g. MoneyWorks). I am still unsure as to whether this is an issue with Acrobat itself or a Windows problem. The fact that it sometimes goes away for a week or so after an automatic Windows update makes me suspicious that it is a Windows problem. It is extremely frustrating though and I wish someone would get to the bottom of it.

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 4, 2013 10:21 PM   in reply to KathyS_893

Now I try to open all programs as "administrator" by right-clicking on the program icon and choosing that option. It doesn't always yield the results I expect, but things run a little bit smoother. Overall, am disappointed by the time I have had to spend trying to solve basic problems already asked and answered.

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 5, 2013 6:59 AM   in reply to KathyS_893

I've had the same Acrobat XI problem on two different Windows 8 computers. Otherwise I'm happy with Acrobat XI and hoping they will come out with an upgrade to fix this soon.

My current workaround: Make a test comment when first opening a PDF document and then save it before doing any real commenting work. I find that if Acrobat XI saves successfully once, it doesn't crash again. It's always on the first save attempt of a session that I get the crashing.

Please keep me posted if you get any closer to a solution.

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 1, 2013 12:46 PM   in reply to TMG Consulting

Don't try uninstalling and reinstalling withuot upgrading...didn't work for me.  ONLY SOLUTION IS TO OPEN AN EXISTING PDF FILE, then insert via scanner any new pages and remov the old.

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 16, 2013 12:18 PM   in reply to SteveMST1

Am having the same issue at a customer as described in post #20 by taxlagutaris, only on a brand new Windows 7 Pro PC with Acrobat XI.  Interesting bit about the update apparently causing the problem - the two times I've reinstalled Acrobat, I've immediately installed the available update. I will have to try installing w/o the update. It would not be the first time I've experienced an Acrobat update breaking or taking away functionality.  I personally run Windows 8 w/Acrobat X and it works fine.

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 16, 2013 6:25 PM   in reply to SDJCS

I performed all kinds of troubleshooting to solve this problem and it has eased. I found that the best solution is to open Adobe Creative Cloud in Admin Mode, then apply updates. I wish I hadn't had to spend 15 hours solving this problem.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points