Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

From After Effects to Premiere Pro

Jan 28, 2013 11:12 PM

Hey anyone!

I'm having trouble transferring an After Effects composition to Premiere Pro.

The compostion is just 2 animation presets (filters) applied to 2 adjustment layers on top of a Premiere Pro sequence that I imported (right-click AE project pane, select "import").

I've tried the following:

- right clicking the project media pane in PP, and importing the AE comp.  When I did this, I could view the comp in my source monitor, but I could NOT move the comp onto my sequence timeline.  Tried dragging, setting in/out points, it just gave me the ghostbusters "no" symbol when I tried to drag it into timeline.

- copy/paste the layers from AE into PP timeline.  Adjustment layers became 2 video tracks that were nothing but a slightly transparent white solid over video that was disconnected (red screen with "media disconnected" written all over it).

- exporting the AE comp as a new PP project (File-->Export...).  The new project had nothing in it but a blank timeline.  Tried copying/pasting comp into that.  Nothing happened.

- exporting the AE comp as an uncompressed AVI.  AE just keeps freezing/crashing in the middle of the export even if I split the comp up in 2 to make it easier.

What am I doing wrong?  Am I doing anything right?  What is the BEST method for transferring an AE comp into a PP timeline?

System specs:

Intel Core 2 Quad 2.7 GHz processor

6 GB RAM

Windows 7 64-bit

NVIDIA GeForce GTX 580 1GB graphics card

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jan 28, 2013 10:57 AM   in reply to BigRed872010

With only six gigs of RAM, you're probably running out of memory.  You need more.  Think in terms of three times more than you currently have. 

There may be other difficulties going on too, but that's the obvious one.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 28, 2013 11:24 AM   in reply to BigRed872010

Two open applications.  One may have multiprocessing enabled.  One may have fancy Cuda-enabled 3D things going on, and they're not working well. 

One may not allow the workflow you're trying to impose upon it: you have to understand that I've only used AE with Final Cut Pro, and a couple of pro editing applications you've probably never heard about.  My information is sketchy about the Premiere-AE-Premiere workflow, and you could be violating some basic rules.

I can think of a few more reasons, but those are good enough for starters.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 28, 2013 11:53 AM   in reply to BigRed872010

This may help: Working with After Effects and Premiere Pro: http://adobe.ly/14oOQam

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points