I'm having trouble transferring an After Effects composition to Premiere Pro.
The compostion is just 2 animation presets (filters) applied to 2 adjustment layers on top of a Premiere Pro sequence that I imported (right-click AE project pane, select "import").
I've tried the following:
- right clicking the project media pane in PP, and importing the AE comp. When I did this, I could view the comp in my source monitor, but I could NOT move the comp onto my sequence timeline. Tried dragging, setting in/out points, it just gave me the ghostbusters "no" symbol when I tried to drag it into timeline.
- copy/paste the layers from AE into PP timeline. Adjustment layers became 2 video tracks that were nothing but a slightly transparent white solid over video that was disconnected (red screen with "media disconnected" written all over it).
- exporting the AE comp as a new PP project (File-->Export...). The new project had nothing in it but a blank timeline. Tried copying/pasting comp into that. Nothing happened.
- exporting the AE comp as an uncompressed AVI. AE just keeps freezing/crashing in the middle of the export even if I split the comp up in 2 to make it easier.
What am I doing wrong? Am I doing anything right? What is the BEST method for transferring an AE comp into a PP timeline?
Intel Core 2 Quad 2.7 GHz processor
6 GB RAM
Windows 7 64-bit
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 580 1GB graphics card
With only six gigs of RAM, you're probably running out of memory. You need more. Think in terms of three times more than you currently have.
There may be other difficulties going on too, but that's the obvious one.
Well, I'm actually in the process of upgrading my system soon, so that will help somewhat overall.
But I don't see how any step other than the last one (exporting uncompressed AVI) would be affected by just buying more RAM.
Two open applications. One may have multiprocessing enabled. One may have fancy Cuda-enabled 3D things going on, and they're not working well.
One may not allow the workflow you're trying to impose upon it: you have to understand that I've only used AE with Final Cut Pro, and a couple of pro editing applications you've probably never heard about. My information is sketchy about the Premiere-AE-Premiere workflow, and you could be violating some basic rules.
I can think of a few more reasons, but those are good enough for starters.
...problem is, this error occurs when I have ONLY After Effects open. No other applications. I even shut down AE before using PP.
I could see how if there was slow import speed or freezing/crashing that this would be a processing or memory issue. I even have a processor/RAM monitor widget that doesn't show a lot going on during the composition importing/copy&pasting.
But in the process, I either get:
- a new premiere project (via dynamic link) that's blank
- a composition that will import but not open in a timeline
- copied layers from AE that are basically blank ("media disconnected" even though the media works in AE)
I'm going to take a look at a few things once I get back to my PC. Maybe I don't have some settings right.
Thanks for your help, Dave.
Anyone else have any ideas?