Skip navigation
TheSonicZone
Currently Being Moderated

Trouble With Vectors

Jan 28, 2013 11:38 AM

I designed a logo for my cousin's business and provided them with the file as an EPS.

Now the companies that make the signs and t-shirts are saying the images are not vector. I am fairly new at Illustrator, so I am trying to find what I've done wrong. They said the file looks as though I put in a jpg and just saved it as an EPS. That is not the case at all. The image was created with strictly shapes and typeface. Most letters were created with a font other than the L's which are roller skates that I designed using basic shapes. I also right-clicked on the font and chose "Create Outlines."

What else could I be doing wrong?

Here is the EPS file.

Thanks for any help in advance!

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jan 28, 2013 11:42 AM   in reply to TheSonicZone

You're using pixelbased effects, those will be converted to pixels in the EPS.

How will it be printed?

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 28, 2013 11:46 AM   in reply to TheSonicZone

Tell them this is a CS6 file, and you are using gradient strokes, so they need to have CS6 to open your file.

You could save a copy down to CS5 .eps, that will expand the appearance of your strokes.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 28, 2013 11:54 AM   in reply to Mike Gondek

The artwork could very easily be exapnded, merged, and then filled with that rainbow gradient. Once that's done, saving as an eps will result in a flat, no issue, no raster, eps file.

As Mike posts.. they need to open the file with CS6.. or you need to adjust the file for those without CS6. That gradient across the strokes isn't going to ever translate to an older version of Illustrator.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 28, 2013 12:47 PM   in reply to TheSonicZone

Basically you need to...

- Remove that guassian blur shadow. That will never be vector (no "blur" will)

- Expand the strokes so they ae shapes and then combine them. (You'll need to remove the gradients from the strokes in order for them to expand correctly)

- Once the strokes are combined, simply add a gradient fill across the shape and a black stroke to mimic the black outline you originally had.

- Add a secondary fill or a duplicate offset shape to create the black shadow, but don't apply any blur effects to it.

The image can easily be created so it remains flat vectors and does not rasterize, but you need to simply rethink construction of the objets entirely.

Snap_001.png

(Gradient may not match original gradients exactly, I was merely getting close)

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 28, 2013 12:49 PM   in reply to TheSonicZone

TheSonicZone wrote:

there is no Legacy Format or anything like it to choose from when I save...

When you choose Save As, pick a format, click OK, a second dialog window pops up. In that second window, at the top, you can choose legacy formats. The term "Legacy" refers to older versions you won't see the actual word "legacy" anywhere.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 28, 2013 1:16 PM   in reply to TheSonicZone

My image above is one gradient fill across all the shapes. Your original image had a separate gradient stroke on each and every shape with the gradients, painstakingly, matched at the edges. In many cases you ahd 2 or 3 strokes overlapping each other for the same shape.

Why can't you simply use one gradient fill as I've done above? You don't need strokes.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 28, 2013 1:42 PM   in reply to TheSonicZone

As long as you aren't adding any gradients on the strokes and not adding any bluring or drop shadow effect, it should remain vector.

You can use Window > Flattener Preview.  Choose All Effected Objects from the drop down and click Refresh... if you see red shapes.. those are problem areas. No red highlights... you're good to go. Try this on your original file and you'll see what it indicates.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 28, 2013 3:06 PM   in reply to TheSonicZone

If you can't select anything from the Flattener Preview drop down menu, it means there's nothing to flatten.  And if nothing is flattened, the art will remain vector exactly as you see it when saved to an eps format.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points