Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Issue with Save for Web in an Action

Jan 28, 2013 1:27 PM

We do hundreds of images for our main client for print purposes. As part of the work, they want all of the final images run through Save for Web saved as both a .jpg and .png file at 1000 pixels wide.

The problem is, if you try to create an action for this, the size the action saves is a percentage and not a pixel width. So it's impossible (so it seems) to save an action that sets the scale as a proportional resize with a fixed output of 1000 pixels wide. Since all of the images vary in size and it insists on saving the size as a percentage, you can't create an action that will work.

I've tried to see if there's a way to modify the action to change the output to a pixel width, but can't see how to do it. Is this even possible? It would save us TONS of work not having to manually open each image twice and saving for each format.

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jan 28, 2013 2:02 PM   in reply to Kurt Lang

An Action can use Image Size command to resize the document to 1000 pixels wide then do Save For Web without further scaling.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 28, 2013 2:31 PM   in reply to Kurt Lang

I understand that Ps 13.1.x (i.e. Cloud-only at this point in time) has conditional steps for Actions. Maybe image width or height can be a condition. I don't know for sure because I'm a second-class user with a perpetual licence. If you don't have 13.1.x then I guess you could ask for a solution in the Ps scripting forum.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 28, 2013 3:58 PM   in reply to Kurt Lang

Fit Image does seem to work correctly for me (13.0.1 on OS X 10.6.8). The Action shown below does honour the enabled Don't Enlarge option when run in a Batch with a test folder of documents.

1600 x 2000 becomes 1000 x 1250

2000 x 1600 becomes 1000 x 800

640 x 800 remains 640 x 800

800 x 640 remains 800 x 640

Screen shot 2013-01-28 at 23.44.33.png

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 28, 2013 5:37 PM   in reply to Kurt Lang

Sounds like a bug introduced after 13.0.1 then.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 31, 2013 9:44 AM   in reply to Kurt Lang

Kurt Lang wrote:

Took a long look at the problem the last couple of days. It's not related to any particular update to PS CS6, it's just a flaw with how Fit Image works. I'm using Snow Leopard as my day to day OS, but am slowly working my way into Mountain Lion since I have newer apps that require Lion or newer to run. So as part of this hunt, I finally installed the CS6 Master Collection onto the ML drive (10.8.2). This was a clean install of ML on an erased drive, and no previous Adobe software. So it's all squeaky clean software. All updates applied to the OS and the Adobe suite.

I did try Fit Image one update at a time with PS. Went from 13.0 to 13.0.1 and tested; to 13.02 and tested again; repeat up to 13.0.4. In all cases, it's an issue with how fit image tries to determine what to do, because it has to deal with both height and width. As a test, create a file 500 px wide, and 600 tall. Now call up Fit Image and make the width 1000 and the height 600. Check the box for Don't Enlarge. Nothing will happen. Run it again and change the height to 1200. This time is scales up, regardless of the check box.

No problem here with 13.0.1 on OS X 10.6.8. It correctly doesn't scale up when I have enabled "Don't Enlarge".

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 31, 2013 10:25 AM   in reply to Kurt Lang

Yes there is a bug with that script.

The bug got in CS5 and was not fixed in CS6.

You can download the fixed script here...

http://www.ps-scripts.com/bb/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=3370

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 31, 2013 11:23 AM   in reply to Kurt Lang

I wonder why I have no problem without downloading a script. I've been following your examples and have been unable to get an error on any occasion.

Edit: Aha! All my attempts have been with 72 ppi docs, which is the only resolution with which the standard script is reliable.

|
    Mark as:
  • Pierre Courtejoie
    7,038 posts
    Jan 11, 2006
    Currently Being Moderated
    Jan 31, 2013 11:21 AM   in reply to Kurt Lang

Kurt, I changed it for you.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 1, 2013 6:50 AM   in reply to Kurt Lang

Oh, I can't take credit for a discovery. I read the information on the page to which Paul posted a link.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points