Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

need help converting from ID 6 to ID 5.5

Jan 28, 2013 6:57 PM

I have ID 5.5 on windows 7. I recently  tried teh trial version of ID 6 and foudn that it didn't warrant my paying for the upgrade. Now I have  a client that sent me 2  ID 6 files which I cannot open. I cannot reinstall the trial as it has already expired.

Would anyone here be willign to  open the files and save them as IDML fo r me?

I don't  make a fortune  workign on freelance jobs and really can't afford the upgrade especiallly since it didn't do anythign for me that 5.5 didn't already do.

my email is asteer@xplornet.com

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jan 28, 2013 7:25 PM   in reply to notannsteer

Heh heh...isn't worth the upgrade price with the exception when clients send CS6 files! Been in this position myself.

Upload them to dropbox.com and send me a PM with the link and I would be happy to do so for you.

I would encourage you to consider upgrading before a dot or full release happens due to the Adobe pricing scheme. While 5.5 floats my boat, and I am a believer in the perpetual licenses, I did the upgrade just so it isn't a full hit to the wallet later on. The only other alternative is to subscribe to the cloud as needed. Not a big hit and any paying work should be covered in what Adobe asks for the cloud.

Take care, Mike--who's sorry for the preaching.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 21, 2013 5:49 AM   in reply to MW Design

Good advice is hardly preaching. The cost of new software is part of doing business as is new hardware.

CS7 will be out in the spring if Adobe holds to its new 12 month upgrade cycle. Creative Cloud is a far better investment, IMO, than buying upgrades every year. The first year is only $29.99/month...way less than most people spend on coffee.

That price is available for anyone running CS3 or later. Details here in case you're interested http://www.adobe.com/products/creativecloud.html

Bob

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 29, 2013 5:37 AM   in reply to Bob Levine

@Bob,

Job was done last night.

It is preaching in the sense it wasn't anything the OP didn't know.

Take care, Mike

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 29, 2013 5:52 AM   in reply to MW Design

Knowing it and having it confirmed are two different things.

Staying current is a cost of doing business and if you can't afford

$30-50 per month you're in the wrong business. And yes, I know I'm

coming off as a jerk but that's just the way it is.

Ask your mechanic or your dentist if he/she wouldn't happily pay

$50/month for every single tool needed and got new ones as they were

available.

Bob

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 29, 2013 6:12 AM   in reply to Bob Levine

@Bob,

Don't know who marked my post as an answer, but if it were you...If the OP's question was "what do I need to do to open CS6 files" or some such thing, I can see my answer being marked as an answer. Consider that the OP's message was not a "How" but a rather a request for aid in absence of a question, I don't think it should be marked as an answer. Just my feelings about it.

Jerk? Certainly a cloud evangelist maybe, and in the same sense I am a perpetual license believer.

The whole updating a perpetual license versus the cloud introductory pricing is a red herring depending on how many Adobe applications one actually uses.

I only use ID and AI and likely will only have need to keep those two applications updated. While the cloud would save a few cups of coffee worth of change the first year, likely not thereafter.

Anyway, I'll stop being a perpetual license jerk now <g>.

Best regards, Mike

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 29, 2013 6:28 AM   in reply to MW Design

I like the perpetual licenses, too, but I believe in keeping up with the versions so I can collaborate (and help folks here). That said, I'm pretty sure the days are numbered for new versions being issued as perpetuals. I've even heard rumors that Microsoft is planning to do Windows by subscription onthe next version, but I don't think the market would accept that.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 29, 2013 6:34 AM   in reply to Peter Spier

Not a rumor. $100/year but you can also buy the license as well.

Bob

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 29, 2013 6:39 AM   in reply to Bob Levine

$100/yr? Seriously? an OEM license is currently less than $150/forever. I suppose they'll start charging perpetual license holders $20 for each of those daily security updates.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 29, 2013 6:57 AM   in reply to Peter Spier

That said, I'm pretty sure the days are numbered for new versions being issued as perpetuals.

I do not have to have/use Adobe products (and don't whenever possible). The main exception is when I need to hand back the odd client file. Really, most of my clients could care less what I use.

If I ever did need a version past the last perpetual license, the clients would simply pay more. That scheme will make a lot of folks happy. If Adobe does this, I believe they will see a drop in revenue.

Tis a pity.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 29, 2013 7:04 AM   in reply to MW Design

I disagree, Mike.

Adobe is adding somewhere near 10,000 Cloud subscribers per week.

Bob

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 29, 2013 7:30 AM   in reply to Bob Levine

That is only part of the picture, Bob. Another part would be for how many months? Will they renew at the end of a year, etc.

120,000 people per year subscribing to the cloud? Each year? Every year? I truly doubt it. The numbers would be astronomical in short order. Larger than any user base Adobe has ever had in X number of years.

By the way, Adobe's finincial statements say 8,000 per week in 3Q 2012. Numbers are not available for 4Q from what I can see. Is this sustainable? Time will tell.

Hey, I am a good capitalist myself. More power to Adobe if it flies, year in, year out.

Mike

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points