Skip navigation
This discussion is locked
Currently Being Moderated

brochure / booklet printing problem

Jan 29, 2013 12:44 AM

Hi,

I  have a problem with the booklet printing. I am german, so I hope you know what I mean

When I try to print a booklet I sometimes get the error message (translatet from german so maybe it's not the exact wording): "The active document uses multiple page sizes. "Print Booklet" can be used only for documents with common page size."

How can I solve this? All the pages are the same size (A5) but InDesign wont let me print it. The only way that worked for me is to make a new document and copy all the page content but that not a solution. This happens a lot so I'm tired of making new documents...

I hope you can help me.

thank you

Hans

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jan 29, 2013 1:44 AM   in reply to hansisux

So far the only known workaround for this is to copy and paste the content into a new file.

Have you condidered using some other method of imposing your booklet, like a script or plugin, then exporting to PDF and printing from that? For small booklets that don't need creep and work with a simple 2-up saddle stitch imposition I've used two free scripts from Dave Saunders for years. If you need something fancier, check out IDImposer: Overview | IDImposer

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 29, 2013 4:20 AM   in reply to Peter Spier

Ran into the same problem a while back in a CS4 file, try turning off facing pages. Might help?

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 29, 2013 4:41 AM   in reply to Cathy2013

Turning off facing pages is almost always a disaster since it then applies the right-hand half of any master spread to all of the pages.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 29, 2013 5:01 AM   in reply to Cathy2013

Cathy2013 wrote:

Ran into the same problem a while back in a CS4 file, try turning off facing pages. Might help?

A CS4 document cannot contain 'multiple page sizes', since that function was introduced in CS5.

Hans, you can create a Preflight profile to check page sizes. I'd have to check but I think "multiple page sizes" is one of the rules you can include. If so, the Preflight Panel will tell you *exactly* which pages are wrong. You can probably fix it by re-applying its master page (or, first apply another master page and then the original one again).

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 29, 2013 6:19 AM   in reply to hansisux

Yes, InDesign should work the way it's supposed to, but there's clearly a bug here, and you have work to do. If you want to get it out, a script is an excellent way to extend ID's capabilities. In many ways using a script will be supeerior to print booklet because it allows you to EXPORT your PDF instead of printing it. Presumably you aren't interested in any interactive features, but an exported PDF can leave the transparency live for a cleaner print.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 29, 2013 9:52 AM   in reply to Peter Spier

Hi. If this is a small bug I would hate to see a large bug. I am trying to discourage my university from purchasing Adobe products and this has been a big help.

I don't suppose that they are planning to fix it anytime soon?

As a side note I created a new document with 4 pages in it. I then attempted to print it using the booklet feature and the error came right up.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 29, 2013 10:13 AM   in reply to richardkrone

When you consider that probably more than 90% of users never need or use Print Booklet, and we've seen less than a dozen reports here, this is a very small problem overall, but certainly annoying for those it hits. I'd love to be able to tell you what the cause is, but I can't becasue I don't know, nor can I or anyone else here tell you when it will be fixed.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 29, 2013 10:17 AM   in reply to Peter Spier

Okay whats the point of a layout editor that can't print or create a simple printable imposed booklet or PDF that can printed?

What is the point of indesign if you cant produce an end product? I thought that this program was for doing printable layouts. Am I looking at the wrong software?

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 29, 2013 10:24 AM   in reply to richardkrone

Imposition include “booklet making” really is not the role of a layout program such as InDesign. InDesign is best used to layout logical pages which are exported in logical page order. It is the role of the prepress system or even the RIP to do what we call imposition, rearranging the logical pages to fit the multiple constraints and geometries of particular printing processes, presses, and the final printed product.

At Adobe, we most strongly recommend that imposition be done after you export the PDF directly from InDesign. Your print service provider is the professional responsible for this. And they can do this either with specialized plug-ins for Acrobat Pro or more likely directly in their prepress production system or RIP.

- Dov

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 29, 2013 10:32 AM   in reply to Dov Isaacs

Thank you Dov:

That is the strongest arguement that I could ever come up with that will support why this university would be better off not going with Adobe products such as InDesign.

It doesn't fit the needs of an individual who wants to have the capabilities of a DTP.

The real issue that I plan to put forward about Adobe is that this has been a known issue and there are no plans to support or repair the problem. That tells us quiet a bit about the company.

Thank you for your time. I do appreciate it.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 29, 2013 10:48 AM   in reply to richardkrone

richardkrone wrote:

Thank you Dov:

That is the strongest arguement that I could ever come up with that will support why this university would be better off not going with Adobe products such as InDesign.

It doesn't fit the needs of an individual who wants to have the capabilities of a DTP.

You're absolutely correct. ID is NOT a DTP application. It's a professional layout tool, and pretty much the industry standard today. I certainly hope you are not advocationg that your classrooms use other software for teaching as it would be a big disservice to your students who will be unprepared for the real world.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 29, 2013 11:22 AM   in reply to Peter Spier

That old line of a disservice to blah blah blah is rather worn out from a sales person for Adobe.

When a large company fails to deliver it fails to deliver there is no way around that.

Whats best for our students is not always whats best for Adobe's bottom dollar line. I realize that.

As I have said I thank you for your time.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 29, 2013 11:43 AM   in reply to richardkrone

Just so you understand, I don't work for Adobe. I'm a freelance designer working for people who need print output, and a former professor at the local community college where I taught page layout, among other things. Once upon a time I was a Quark power user, and a Pagemaker user before that. While I'm fairly certain that the printers I know would still accept files from other applications, when I talk to the prepress people they always seem to default to ID, which tells me that's what they see coming in.

I'm curious what you are advocating for use instead of Adobe products.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 29, 2013 11:52 AM   in reply to Peter Spier

Please note that you said

"At Adobe, we most strongly recommend that imposition be done after you export the PDF directly from InDesign. Your print service provider is the professional responsible for this. And they can do this either with specialized plug-ins for Acrobat Pro or more likely directly in their prepress production system or RIP."

That "WE MOST STRONGLY" indicates that you consider yourself to be employed or at least in some way contractually part of Adobe. Now maybe you just mistyped or maybe you meant to quote. I am unsure.

I advocate for action. I advocate that if a product does not work as advertised then the customer should not tolerate it just because that product has the marketing dollars to advertise itself as the only game in town.

The thing I think you fail to grasp is that ID is not the standard outside of North America necessarily. This is a very North American perspective.

This conversation has taken me away from the real problem, which someone has emailed me, the solution to. It is indeed a bug in the software. But enough time has been wasted.

Thank you for your time and advocacy of Adobe.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 29, 2013 12:12 PM   in reply to richardkrone

No I did not say that. You are quoting Dov Isaacs, Principal Scientist for the Adobe PDF Workflow, and an Adobe employee (and he has a badge noting that here on the webpage). He was telling you Adobe's position.

As a professional, I happen to agree with that position. I need to impose booklets perhaps once or twice per year for in-house output (generally a proof or sample to show a client) or for a client who uses Staples (the office store) to print a club directory. Being a Windows user I can use Print Booklet fairly easily to print to a PDF, but I'm equally comfortable using one of Dave Saunders' old scripts which are incredibly fast and simple, and were I a Mac user that would be my method of choice. I find printing from PDF to be much faster than printing direct from ID, especially if the document has multiple pages, and it keeps ID free for other tasks.

Message was edited by: Peter Spier

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 29, 2013 12:11 PM   in reply to richardkrone

And you say someone has emailed you a solution. If it's other than copy/paste into a new doc, there are other users out there who would appreciate it if you would share it.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 29, 2013 12:15 PM   in reply to Peter Spier

You are right. I stand corrected.

My apologies.

I am still amazed that Adobe would allow this DOV to say that its a non-issue for Adobe. After all its a listed feature in the program.

I still find that I cannot advocate for this software.

As for share the solution? Well this is a pay to play program not open source. I'm not selling the solution to which I had to just pay for.

It seems to me to be an inherent issue with closed source software.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 29, 2013 12:28 PM   in reply to richardkrone

So are you saying you used some third-party software to do the impostion?

Dave's scripts are free or donationware (I've forgotten at this point), and IDImposer, the plugin from Sterling Computing is very inexpensive at $49 US, but I just checked the website and it looks like Stephen may have extended the free offer beyond the planned Jan. 1 cutoff.

And for the record, I think bugs should be fixed, no question, but I also understand reality and am pragmatic enough to use a workaround when one is known so I can get my work done. I don't think I've had occasion to use Print Booklet in CS6, but I am fairly certain that it does work most of the time for most users, and this particular problem is most likely triggered by some (perfectly legitmate) action on the part of the user. I really wish we could nail down what the cause is becasue it's nearly impossible to fix a bug you can't reliably reproduce.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 29, 2013 1:55 PM   in reply to Peter Spier

Got round the page problem that by creating left and right page masters.... work but not hard.

Print booklet works fine in CS6, used it this morning to create proofs for a client who can't get their head around looking at a single page.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 29, 2013 1:57 PM   in reply to Cathy2013

A real waste of your time and effort, though, compared to running a script.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 29, 2013 11:27 PM   in reply to richardkrone

Mr. Krone,

I am the “this DOV” that you refer to.

I never said “that its a non-issue for Adobe.” What I did give you was our position as to the best and most professional method of doing imposition because there are so many issues associated with both “booklet making” and imposition in general that this built-in, fairly hobbled feature simply can't handle correctly. Since the print booklet feature doesn't provide a PDF export feature, if you create PDF via it, it is by distillation of PostScript, a real crap shoot if your document has any transparency effects and/or color management.

If there is a bug (and I am not doubting for a minute that this thread notes some real bug or bugs), it should be reported to Adobe Tech Support for resolution. Neither I nor anyone else in this thread indicated that such a reported bug would be dismissed and not fixed by Adobe.

In terms of the parts of this thread associated with DTP and teaching, etc., I know of absolutely no word processor, layout program, or desktop publishing program (whatever that means) that offers any real support for imposition because, as previously stated, imposition is exceptionally device dependent. If you don't understand that, you are personally not in a position to diss our recommendations.

I will not stoop to the point of posting my résumé into this thread, but let's just say that (1) I've been in senior positions at Adobe for nearly 23 years, (2) have been in the computer and graphic arts industry for over 40 years, (3) currently am also serving as an industry research professor at the California Polytechnic University at San Luis Obispo in the Graphic Communications Department teaching publishing workflow as well as having taught classes at RIT and given many classes and presentations throughout the world, (4) am current chair of the ISO PDF/X standards committee, and finally (5) have the full support of Adobe executive management in posting here. Sorry you don't like my advice, but we stand behind it!

- Dov

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 30, 2013 1:11 AM   in reply to richardkrone

What would you sugest we ALL use, as ID is the acepted standard, EVERYWHERE! BTW I don't live in the US.

Perhaps we could all go back to using Publisher....?

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 30, 2013 4:50 AM   in reply to Cathy2013

Adobe InDesign may well be the standard for page layout but it is NOT even close to being an imposition tool. I'm baffled every time one of these conversations comes up.

Bob

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 30, 2013 5:24 AM   in reply to Bob Levine

Okay okay.

First if InDesign is NOT a DTP program and as it has been said it is just a single page layout tool then why does Adobe include the "PRINT BOOKLET" feature? Seriously? Was it just for fun? To tease users?

Hmm DOV you have to understand that as he is an employee of Adobe I cannot expect any criticism of an Adobe product from you. Repeating credentials is not solving problems. As they say at GE its not what you have done its what you will do that matters. It is also not helpful when you know that the person/persons are mouth pieces and won't advocate for the customer.

And as for ID being the "standard". That may or may not be true but it was once true that blacks had a separate drinking fountain from whites in the United States. That doesn't mean it was right (it wasnt of course) or would stay that way (it don't). What is says is that Adobe has a great marketing machine and managed to get a bunch of people on their forums who advocate the software. Bully for them!

I am NOT a professional printer. I don't print magazines for the newsstands. I don't do the daily rag for the people on the street dying to read comics and editorials.

What I do is art. I create beautiful posters and large scale institutional informational displays. I have never been asked by the dozens of Printers I have worked with for an InDesign file. Never. They always work with what they are given and have done a great job. They realize that they cannot become locked into a one product only mentality if they have more than one customer.

So that all being said can we please return to WHY DOES ADOBE have this feature if it isn't to be supported? Is it a marketing thing? Does Adobe feel that they have lost something after the botched retirement and return of Pagemaker? Why have this feature without the support and Adobe employees on their forums saying that InDesign isn't meant to be used for this all the while the options are there.

No cop outs. Why have this feature? Dov if your so senior can you find out?

Thank you,

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 30, 2013 5:42 AM   in reply to richardkrone

The simplified imposition feature is there because market research determined that there is user-application demand. That's just common sense, and there is nothing more to make of it. No one but you has said "there is no support for it." There are in fact many conclusions you've drawn here that are ostensibly born of your own preconceived prejudice.

I am NOT a professional printer. I don't print magazines for the newsstands. I don't do the daily rag for the people on the street dying to read comics and editorials.

What I do is art.

Heh. If someone actually has tasked you with specifying software for any particular purpose, I expect they've yet to witness the can of self-assured worms they've opened.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 30, 2013 5:44 AM   in reply to John Mensinger

Still didn't address the question or problem directly. Just offered mud. Lets try again.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 30, 2013 5:47 AM   in reply to richardkrone

Richard,

The reason why printers don't ask for InDesign files is that their job is not to reinterpret what you create with either InDesign or any other layout, illustration, or image creation software. They will print from high quality final form file format content, typically PDF, applying imposition as appropriate to the final product and the geometry and media requirements of their equipment.

Why the feature even put in there? Simple. There was a company that sold a third party plugin to do the same type of booklet making from within InDesign. That particular company was bought out by Quark a number of years back as a “strategic move” to somehow harm Adobe. In turn, Quark simply stopped marketing any of the plugins of that company for InDesign. Concerned that some InDesign customers were being left in a lurch, the InDesign development team put together a quick-and-dirty booklet printing feature which is essentially what you see today less a number of bugs fixed along the way. In retrospect, though, and given the relatively low usage of that feature by the target market of InDesign users, new and enhanced features for the booklet maker are exceptionally low on either Adobe's or any of our major users' wish lists. That having been said, we did not say that Adobe doesn't support the feature. Submit a bug report to Adobe.

By the way, as a workaround in the meantime, for “quick and dirty” booklet printing, directly export PDF from InDesign (we recommend the PDF/X-4 or at worst, the High Quality Print options) and print the resultant PDF file from Adobe Reader or Acrobat X or XI using the booklet feature in the print dialog. It is not a full imposition feature, but will much better accomplish the function of printing simple booklets from PDF files in logical page order.

- Dov

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 30, 2013 5:54 AM   in reply to Dov Isaacs

Finially! A solid response!

Wow that took long enough. And yes we use things like how long it took to get a solid respose in a forum when teaching new students. This helpse to get them to understand what they will go through if they don't go for the paid support option and even then it can be bad.

This thread will make an excellent example.

I can understand the low usage problem. I would expect that for paid software they would either support all features or eliminate those that they do not support. This of course is my fantasy for closed source paid software.

Now if this all would have been said to begin with we would not have had such a long thread.

Thank you,

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 30, 2013 5:55 AM   in reply to richardkrone

Still didn't address the question or problem directly.

That's a matter of perspective. It goes without saying you don't see yourself as the problem.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points