Skip navigation
Wakeymatt
Currently Being Moderated

Can't render out 1.44 pixel ratio for SD 16:9 UK TVC broadcast requirements ?

Jan 29, 2013 1:07 AM

I'm prepping a TV advert for broacast in the UK and the station require an SD 16:9 1.44 pixel ratio 720x576 (1024x576), the problem is this just doesn't seem possible in after effects or any adobe porduct I can see ?

The only thing I can do is render out a 1.46 pixel ratio 720x576 (1050x576) version.

Any help on this would be greatly apreciated !

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jan 29, 2013 1:44 AM   in reply to Wakeymatt

http://help.adobe.com/en_US/AfterEffects/9.0/WS3878526689cb91655866c11 03906c6dea-7f3aa.html

Beyond that you are not making much sense. Pixels are pixels. 720x576 will always be just that, no matter based on which square pixel equivalent it has been created. Nothing stops you from creating a 1024x576 and then either manually fitting it or adjusting your footage interpretation rules file.

Mylenium

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 29, 2013 11:55 AM   in reply to Wakeymatt

Why don't you use Adobe Media encoder, uains a custom preset to get the pixel aspect ratio you seek?

Personally, I've never had any problems getting AE to make a custom comp in any pixel aspect ratio I wanted.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 29, 2013 12:32 PM   in reply to Dave LaRonde

With broadcast sized frames the PAR is interpreted by the frame size not the PAR. Make your comp the right size for the Specifications, make it the right frame rate, and don't worry about the PAR being exactly on. Many codecs don't even support a PAR tag in the meta data. That's all it is. PAR has nothing at all to do with what's contained in the original pixels.

If you're going for broadcast and they want it compressed (more and more do) I'd use the Adobe Media Encoder to compress your final delivery. You have much more control for rendering to compressed formats. It's also highly unlikely that AE will produce the best audio for your project through the Render Cue because of the limited audio settings available.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 29, 2013 8:50 PM   in reply to Wakeymatt

As explained above, there really is no difference between the two square pixel PAL standards if you are delivering in anamorphic 720x576 pixels.  So long as you provide your final output at 720x576, there is no real-world difference between the content of either standard.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 30, 2013 5:24 AM   in reply to Wakeymatt

1.44 is actually wrong according to the specifications. The PAR for NTSC footage is also wrong. There's an article somewhere on the Adobe site that explains the decision and there's an article by Chris and Trish Meyer on the subject. Adobe changed it to be more, not less compliant. It wasn't that long ago and we were working with 640 X 480 as the standard video size for digital production. The very best workflow is to work in square pixels anyway and only squeeze the image as a final step. And as I said before, there are dozens of codecs that don't even have a spot in their container to define PAR. For some it's like trying to add PPI info to a .gif -

What codec do they require? What data rate? Where's the white paper. I'd be glad to read it. In practical terms, and for every network from the US, to France, to Japan, that I've ever submitted work to, match their request for delivery format and they never look back. They just take your money and play your stuff. Only once in more than 40 years of submitting programming to television did I have to send a network a different file or tape. 

You can't be the only AE artist producing for broadcast in the UK. I've been in television since 1969 and was one of the first utilizers of desktop production in a major US market. It's about scan lines and timeing (frame size). Go to Angie Taylors's blog and ask her the question. She's one of the top AE artists and trainers in the UK.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 10, 2013 7:26 AM   in reply to Rick Gerard

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 10, 2013 8:36 AM   in reply to Wakeymatt

The article that I pointed to includes links to a lot more information, including a post by Chris Meyer on how to go back to the old way.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points