Skip navigation
Wdautrion
Currently Being Moderated

T-Shirt designing #2: How do I change the background of my image?

Jan 29, 2013 3:40 AM

Tags: #changing #background #color #guide #the #within #designing #t-shirt

Using CS6...

I'm also using the t-shirt template.

On my screen is a t-shirt with a small rectangle inside of it. And another large rectangle beside it. I plan on making my image inside of the large rectangle (which is also the guide).

Right now it is white but I would like to change it to different colors and I would need for this color to be part of the image once completed. I tried clicking on stuff (everything is highlighted) but the background color within the guide never changes.

Can someone provide the steps?

Sincerely,

Rookie

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jan 29, 2013 3:52 AM   in reply to Wdautrion

You might want to show us what exactly you are seeing on screen and what exactly you want to create. In the meantime you could also start reading the basic stuff about vector graphic in the manual. You'll need it anyway.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 29, 2013 4:32 AM   in reply to Wdautrion

Well, as Monika said, start by reading the online help/ manual. No offense, but you pretty obviously don't have the first clue about any of this and even if we were to provide instructions, you wouldn't understand them because you wouldn't know the terminology or where each function is. And in your case I already get this ugly feeling that you don't know how to create transparencies in images in Photoshop, either. So before we end up like elderly people talking about their grand children's smartphones, do some reading and look up some tutorials and then come back with more specific questions, including possibly a sample/ screenshot of your image...

Mylenium

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 29, 2013 6:56 PM   in reply to Wdautrion

Well that escalated quickly. Honestly, illustrator is hard to learn and understand, it was only with years of Photoshop under my belt that I dared pick up illustrator, and I am still struggling.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 29, 2013 7:20 PM   in reply to Wdautrion

Yeah,

I know your frustration. Everyone learns differently, somepoeple can learn from reading, others from doing. I have never once read the manual for illustrator, I learn by creating things and struggling through it. If you need more help feel free to ask, I am by no means a pro, but I know my way around

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 29, 2013 8:13 PM   in reply to Christ-Guard

...somepoeple can learn from reading, others from doing...

How is reading something typed in this forum not "learning from reading"?

JET

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 29, 2013 9:32 PM   in reply to JETalmage

It is completely different JET

Let me expound for a moment:
        People like Wdautrion and I learn from hands on experience. That means, If I want to learn how to use AI then I wait until I have a project to do, a task to accomplish. Such as design a T-Shirt. Once I have a task, and a vision of what the final product should be, I open up AI and start to fumble around with it until I get stuck. Once I get stuck (which can happen often and early with something as complex as AI) I hope on a forum and ask a specific question to get me over my hurdle, then once past that hurdle I continue to fumble around until I finish my project or get stuck again.

However, If I where to simply read through the manual, as if it where a book, all of the information I read would not be retained and it would have been a waist of my time, because I don't learn that way. Others however can read a manual and get a lot out of it, they learn by reading the information in a nice, organized, and layed out form such as reading it from a manual or listening to a lecture.

Here is a nice article on learning styles for you to enjoy: http://www.learningrx.com/types-of-learning-styles-faq.htm

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 30, 2013 3:32 AM   in reply to Christ-Guard

Christ-Guard wrote:

Here is a nice article on learning styles for you to enjoy: http://www.learningrx.com/types-of-learning-styles-faq.htm

Well, yes. But

a. it doesn't tell stuff I didn't know before

b. it doesn't cover your way of "learning"

Kinesthetic learning needs a teaching concept as do all other types of learning. It does even more so, because it should guide you through all the basics as does a book do. When doing kinesthetic learning correctly you will have to go through all the same chapters as you would if you read the manual. What you're doing instead by fumbling your way through the software blindfolded and stumbling into all different functions flatfooted isn't learning at all. You won't learn anything that way. You will just sort of get your project done. But if you have a project that is only a little different you will have to ask again, because you didn't truly understand what actually happened and how all the stuff you did is connected.

If you're really after kinestetic learning, you'll need to find a teacher who will teach you in person. A forum isn't meant for kinesthetic learning at all. A forum can only point you in the direction of what you want to do and point you to stuff you can read in order to get what you want. Most forum posts won't explain you why the stuff works that way and how everything is connected to the way vector graphics works (because it's your business to learn that by one way or other).

So when asking in a forum you will still have a lot of learning to do yourself. And you will still have to do that learning in the form you refuse most: by studying the manual or other written text.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 30, 2013 5:13 AM   in reply to Wdautrion

Wdautrion wrote:

With that being said, if someone comes to forum with a question, don't point them in another direction to solve the problem, just answer the question if you choose to.

That's why I asked for the details. Because in order to guide you anywhere we need exact information on what the problem is. Depending on what exactly you have in front of you the way to get it might be completely different. And I don't want to waste my time trying to guess what you might want.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 31, 2013 5:22 AM   in reply to Christ-Guard

It is completely different JET

Gee, thanks for all that information! I had no idea! I mean, here I am, 58 years old, and until now I've never heard of "hands-on learning."

Sounds strikingly similar, though, to something called "doing your homework." Ever heard of that?

This special-needs mental condition you speak of is alarming, and believe me, I'm well aware of it. I sure hope the CDC is working on it, 'cause It's rapidly approaching pandemic proportions in this very forum.

But until the white lab coats show up with mass quantities of serum, we all know what has to be done. Just as the only thing you can do with a Zombie is shoot it in the head, the only thing you can do with a Lazie is tell it "RTFM." Yeah, it's a nasty job. But with the exponential spread so out of control, somebody's gotta do it.

Thankfully, the very thing that makes them so dang near indistinguishable at least makes them immediately recognizable: all that aimless wandering and stumbling and groping around. (Man, what a way to live!)

There is a difference…subtle, but it's there. The Zs are pretty much oblivious to their condition. The Ls seem to actually be proud of it.

;-)

JET

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 31, 2013 8:04 AM   in reply to Wdautrion

Of course you're entitled to your position, Wdautrion, as are we all. But see, this:

It is real simple to tell someone how to change the background color of the guide.

...demonstrates one flaw in your thinking.

No, it isn't "real simple to tell someone how to change the background color of the guide" because an Illustrator guide has no background color. Without some form of rudimentary indoctrination, you're not even able to phrase the question in  a way that actually applies.

Go ahead, fumble through your projects, doing everything via found methods. The fact is, you're clueless with respect to whether the program has features and functions that would improve your experience, your satisfaction, and the end result of your efforts. By all means, you must experiment as you educate yourself for there to be hope of retention. But through blind experimentation, you can't learn Illustrator. You'll only learn the findings of your experiments, and there's no guarantee they are sound. I work with others' files all the time, and it's embarrassingly easy to tell when someone's methods are the result of unread hacking.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 31, 2013 2:10 PM   in reply to Wdautrion

I don't have to explain to anyone....PLEASE STOP POSTING ON THIS DISCUSSION...

And by the same token, anyone can post here as long as they want. This is a public forum. Just because you start a thread doesn't mean you "own" whatever discussion may stem from it.

JET

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 1, 2013 6:13 AM   in reply to Wdautrion

Now go fly somewhere...

No, I think I'll stay here and talk more about the similarities between Zombies and Lazies; the way they both fail to communicate effectively, for example.

JET

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 3, 2013 3:00 AM   in reply to Wdautrion

Wdautrion, Christ-Guard, others,

I originally skipped this thread because I assumed it was about the specifics of certain T-Shirt templates, based on the related #1 thread.

However, its seemingly going on and on made me finally read it, and ponder.  I believe a few things are worth adding, even if it may seem too long already.

As I read the OP, it is simply a question about a rectangular Guide (a Guide that was originally created as a rectangle) which may seem to have a white fill and the wish to switch to another colour, to form a background that is part of the artwork.

Had I read the OP before anything else had happened, I believe my answer would (just as simply) have been something like:

Guides are non printing, and they have no fill. You can see that if you View>Show (Transparency) Grid.

To get a corresponding coloured rectangular fill that forms part of the artwork, you may:

1) Drag with the rectangle Tool from the top left to the bottom right of the Guide rectangle,

2) Set the fill colour as desired and no Stroke,

3) Lock the rectangle to avoid selecting it (until the artwork is finished).

There are other ways, but I should prefer this to others that may require more explanation (such as a few involving releasing of the Guide).

Other aspects of the thread are ways of learning, and of efforts/attitudes, including using the manual/helpfile.

It is worth mentioning that the link in post #11 refers to only three out of four learning styles (VAK instead of VARK), the fourth being reading & writing. This is (just) one of many models, as it appears from this Wikipedia article (which also leaves the forurth one out):

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Learning_styles#Neil_Fleming.27s_VAK.2FVA RK_model

A fuller VARK explanation may be seen here:

http://psychology.about.com/od/educationalpsychology/a/vark-learning-s tyles.htm

I mention this because there is a crucial difference between visual and reading & writing, which I believe is important for this thread.

Whichever faith anyone may have in such models, I believe there are significant differences in how different people learn.

I also believe that no learning style should be frowned upon.

I am convinced that some of the difficulties in mutual understanding, and in writing/reading posts, arise from such differences.

With regard to efforts/attitudes, it is important to work smarter, not harder,

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Performance_consulting

but what that means  rather depends on learning and working style(s). What is best and most efficient for one may appear as laziness, or as hard work, or as silliness, for another.

Also, it may be argued that, depending on the actual task, the use of some features/procedures, maybe especially some of the easy ones in later versions, may be considered either efficiency or laziness/sloppiness.

With regard to using the manual/helpfile, RTFM is a small effort for some, a greater or even forbidding one for others. Probably most would agree that it is much easier to use when you get used to to it and/or have known Illy for a while and know your way round.

I only remember one instance, in another forum, with a poster actually declaring himself that he was lazy; and he was gently and friendly but clearly told to work on his attitude, which he agreed upon.

You may say that all this is easy for me to say, because I am lucky to actually enjoy the challenge of finding ways to brídge differences and difficulties in learning, here and elsewhere. Some of what I do is to help and teach across styles. One recent urgent and pleasant challenge was a mid afternoon phone call from a carpenter about a simple crude (too) steep staircase/(step)ladder fitting a certain space; he was completely at a loss. I asked when he was going to build it, and the answer was: "Now". He was on the site, and all he had to work with were some leftover 45x245 mm rafters. I asked for the height from floor to floor (total rise) (2230 mm) and the available horizontal space (containing the total going and then a bit) (1500 mm); 10 minutes later, I could tell him an adapted/failsafe way to shape the stringboards and place the steps, with only four measures to mark, the rest being pure carpentry work, devised while getting the measures from a quick drawing with the help of Illy, of course. He fitted the staircase precisely and was happy (as was the customer), and baffled.

In any case, now I said it.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points