Skip navigation
Scarecrow398
Currently Being Moderated

CS6 Can't Open/Create Files after a period

Jan 29, 2013 6:28 AM

Tags: #photoshop #problem #error #files #open #windows #create #psd #or #load #extended #cant

I've seen several threads around for a issue the same as this (None with anything useful) and seeing as i can't really see how to explain it, i'll use Coestar's Video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Ehx9cFyw7A

Which shows the exact issue i'm having, the only difference is that I'm running CS6 Extended.

The Problem is not always present, sometimes happens on first launch, sometimes after a few hours use.

If it does happen during use ussaly apart from not opening files some tools will act weird like brush strokes going down but disapearing on release of the mouse button...

I've spent the last few days searching the web, these forums and such for a solution but haven't found one...

What i've tried to rectify this:

• Reset Preferances
  • Buying a key and reinstalling... (The issue Appeared on a trial version and hence due to use of the program and the error i bought a key...)
  • Reinstall Photoshop
  • Remove Third Party Plugin (Nvidea PS Plugin for Normal maps, ect (The issue started long after this was installed))
  • Update Nvidea Display Drivers
  • Update from 13.0 to 13.0.1
  • Changing to a Larger Scratch disk
  • resetting Workspace (someone claimed this fixed it for them)
  • Disabling Anti Virus (Avast!)
  • Disabling Plug-ins from running on start up (Both through keyboard command and through renaming the plugins folder)
  • Changing the Default printer

I've contacted the 'Australian' (which actually seemed like a Redirect to another country, but i digress) Customer help desk to no avail, the technical Chat online to which they stated "Come back in 2 hours when the PS team is on" which i'm currently waiting in que for now...

Honestly i doubt anyone i'm contacting on Adobe's side can help, less they be a programmer on the PS team... :/

DxDiag: http://pastie.org/5927099

PS SysInfo: http://pastie.org/5927282#

Message was edited by: Scarecrow398 (Added more details)

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jan 29, 2013 7:22 AM   in reply to Scarecrow398

Have you checked to see if your OS is set for a 2 monitor display and you only have one monitor?  Files may be opening there.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 29, 2013 5:47 PM   in reply to Scarecrow398

With a normal computer I would suggest you take off the panel clean out the dust and make sure all the cards and memory are seated.  You may be seeing a heat expansion issue that makes a poor connection.  Don't know if you can even dismantle a Mac.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 30, 2013 5:06 AM   in reply to Scarecrow398

Scarecrow398 wrote:

during the period of it working all hte files open in the window attached to the main program, it's self contained unlike how Mac likes to have multiple windows for the program."

To open each doc in a separate window, disable "Open Documents As Tabs" in Preferences > Interface.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 2, 2013 7:57 AM   in reply to Scarecrow398

This problem has been happening to me since CS5 and has been very frustrating overall. I tried CS6, and it still won't work. Yesterday I reinstalled windows and the first thing I installed (Besides drivers and internet browser) was Photoshop CS6. The problem still occurs, even with the fresh install.

This problem really needs to get fixed, it's putting quite the damper on my business.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 2, 2013 6:51 PM   in reply to Scarecrow398

When PS will not open a file if you open Bridge and open file from there does it appear in photoshop?

|
    Mark as:
  • Noel Carboni
    23,455 posts
    Dec 23, 2006
    Feb 3, 2013 9:24 AM   in reply to Scarecrow398

I see you have Photoshop installed on drive D:.

I've read reports on and off of folks who have gotten their systems into odd states as a result of trying to relocate things (e.g., their user area) onto other drives to try to avoid filling a too-small system SSD.

I'm not saying this should or does cause problems, but just that I've read occasionally about people having problems with using other than the default folders.

-Noel

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 3, 2013 7:34 PM   in reply to Scarecrow398

I agree, for as much as CS6 costs, they should really have better support.

But here is a link to my Photoshop Info text. Maybe there is some commonality between our two systems?

http://pastebin.com/JaLSM3a0

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 3, 2013 8:37 PM   in reply to Scarecrow398

I actually just downloaded and applied the new update, and the problem seems to have gone away. I'm not sure if this is an actual fix or coincidence, but I didn't have to restart windows and the problem has since gone away. Definitely worth a try! I'll have to investigate a bit more to see if this fixed it or not.

-Piecat

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 4, 2013 8:47 AM   in reply to Scarecrow398

Did you apply any updates to your OS? I had a similar problem and did a a system rollback to a point prior to the last 3 batches of WIN7 security updates (January 27th). Now everything is working fine. Only problem is my WIN is not up to date anymore...

|
    Mark as:
  • Noel Carboni
    23,455 posts
    Dec 23, 2006
    Feb 9, 2013 7:04 AM   in reply to Scarecrow398

Thank you for following-up!  It's always highly useful to hear about specific conflicts (and hopefully resolutions), as folks with similar problems may turn this thread up with a search.

-Noel

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 9, 2013 10:34 AM   in reply to Scarecrow398

Likely to be some conflict with keystrokes.  Do you have any other key remapping software installed?

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points