Skip navigation
Dimitris Mitrovgenis
Currently Being Moderated

Muted Color in LR4

Jan 29, 2013 6:19 AM

I am using a macbook pro with  calibrated LCD.I am having an issue with LR4,when i edit the images in cs6 photoshop ,pictures are more contrasty and richer.Both are in the same colour space ProRGB,i have no soft proofing on ,on both applications and i am getting different colours.( I have also made a different profile v2 instead of v4,i have read that this might cause a problem).

Strange thing is that I right click>edit in photoshop,and the save the image with no adjustments and comes back to LR4 with rich colors and contrasty.

I have checked with Bridge and colors in bridge are looking the same as the export file in photoshop.100% match.It looks like LR4 is using a different icc profile or something like that.

Can somebody explain why is this happening?

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jan 29, 2013 6:47 AM   in reply to Dimitris Mitrovgenis

One possible scenario that would match your description is that the image has ProPhotoRGB color numbers but is missing the profile information, so LR can’t tell it is PPRGB and is interpreting the color-numbers as sRGB by default. 

Photoshop may be set with a PPRGB working space and also have missing profile warnings turned off so while it happens to work in PS, if you set the PS working space to sRGB, you’d have the same problem in PS.

Trying enabling all three profile warnings in PS’s color-settings preferences and set PS’s working space to sRGB and see if you get warnings and a lifeless image in PS if you tell it not to convert to the working space.

What is the source of your image?  Could it be missing the profile, or maybe the profile information is stored in a way that LR cannot read it correctly?

|
    Mark as:
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jan 29, 2013 7:11 AM   in reply to Dimitris Mitrovgenis

If you mean a custom camera profile created by the DNG Profile Editor or X-Rite Colorchecker Passport software then the .dcp file should go under here:

/Users/[your username]/Library/Application Support/Adobe/CameraRaw/CameraProfiles/

The Adobe-supplied camera profiles go somewhere else, though, put there by the installer, and with the most recent LR version, the ignores any custom profiles that were mixed in with the Adobe-supplied ones.

If you are referring to some .ICC color profiles used for export like sRGB or Adobe RGB or ProPhoto RGB, then I’m not sure where those go on a Mac.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points